UK Stackers, best value silver/ purchases in Blighty?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by PhilDaSilva, Feb 3, 2014.

1. PhilDaSilva

PhilDaSilva New Member

Hi all,

Still pretty much a pm stacker newbie here but am looking for the best value PM buys in the uk though silver is my main target as its easy to find and relatively cheap. Anyone care to offer advice or answer a few questions?

My current strategy is as follows: Silver, Gold or Platinum within 5% or 10% (or better) of spot price where possible which requires some self discipline for sure, this includes 925 sterling as there's plenty of it about and most people will accept spot price 7/10. Coins in sterling 925+ silver at less than 20% over spot (30% if its a rare coin, pretty or special and or very desirable) as a coin is a coin esp when it has Queen Lizzies head on it as most people will at least recognise it has some value. Any thoughts on this strategy?

Am I being mean in refusing the pay the 20% VAT on bullion silver when gold/plat would take me much longer to accumulate on my limited income?

Also note I am finding 925 sterling junk jewellery, coins etc at +/- 5% of spot price quiet regularly at flea markets etc though I know 925 does not have the liquidity of 999 silver bullion yet pence per gram 925 sterling seems to give me a better price, pro/cons anyone? (I do calculate for -7.5% value with sterling on spot prices)

I also occasionally find the odd bit of 9Ct gold or even UK sovereigns within 10% of spot price and snap them up as I'm not fussy about overall condition, I also have fine soldering/brazing skills to repair and also polish most basic jewellery/chains etc and feel that selling 2nd hand gold as jewellery would offer a better mark up over spot prices, a pencil blowtorch is in the mail this week for this and other purposes. This then may allow me to increase my purchase % over spot and still make better than long term spot profits though this may leave me kicking myself if the pm spot prices really spike.

Overall am asking if i am missing any tricks here as you guys have much more experience in this regard, am looking for a solid 25 to 30 year strategy as this whole endeavor is a pension hedge fund should the banks decide to devalue/raid the UK pension funds which seems to be more and more likely, bear in mind am your average bloke on an average type income with few assets and no housing property though I hope to eventually purchase a house and put what would be rent funds into PM or savings.