Ugly Bears (Photo Thread)

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by heyimderrick, Feb 16, 2012.

1. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Thought it would be fun to start a picture thread of our used, abused and neglected pandas that we've rescued.

2000 S10Y Frosted Ring

[​IMG]

1994 S10Y Large Date

[​IMG]

If you have any ugly, abused bears you'd like to give up for adoption, I'm interested.

2. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

i am determined to turn this ugly duck into a princess :)
    [​IMG]

3. heyimderrick

Sending the 1994 above in to NCS with a batch of other Pandas as an experiment. Should be interesting to see how it turns out if they make any attempt to conserve it. Hopefully they don't body bag it on me; at the very least I expect them to holder and "Details Grade" it.

4. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, should be interesting to see how NCS goes on those bears... if they can restore coins that have been at the bottom of the sea... surely whitespots can be treated too :)

5. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

+1

6. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

I saw some ship wreck coins that NCS conserved from the SS Republic that sank off the coast of Georgia during a hurricane in 1865 while en route to New Orleans from New York.

The vessel was carrying millions of dollars in silver and gold and it was all lost at sea but some of it was salvaged about 10 years ago.

The old New Orleans Mint which is tremendously rich with a lot of history has some of this recovered treasure on display. They have some of the coins on display just as they were found after sitting on the ocean floor for 140 years and then on the side of those are the NCS conserved coins in NGC holders for comparison. I was completely blown away at the condition of these conserved coins, they looked almost as good as the day they were minted VERY IMPRESSIVE !!!

My wife is from New Orleans and we go frequently to visit her family, on the next trip I will bring my good camera and get some pics to post up here you guys will be amazed !!!

7. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Everytime I get a coin back with "details" grading I feel like they "body bagged" it !!! :D

8. heyimderrick

At least with the details grade you get a holder for your money; getting a coin returned without any services rendered and being out the fee would be the worst. I'll post the results when I get them.