U.S. Strategic Stockpile Silver Trade Unit

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by millededge, May 5, 2012.

1. millededge

millededge Active Member

Thought I'd post a pic of this as it is an unusual item in Australia I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Historical rounds make for an interesting talking point.

The last U.S. circulated silver coin was the 1964 Kennedy half dollar, in honour of his death in 1963, by assassination on November 22.

The Silver Strategic Stockpile was created in June 1968, via a 165 million ounce silver 'donation' from the U.S. Treasury. I guess Treasury didn't need it anymore as it was fully demonetised.

25.5 million ounces was removed in 1970 (I'm not sure why yet), leaving 139.5 million ounces, predating the closure of gold window in 1971.

The stockpile remained at about 137.5 MOz through to 1985, after which it declined each year until 2002 when it was fully depleted in sales back to the U.S. Treasury, to mint Silver Eagles, the first of which was struck in 1986.

source:
    http://about.ag/StrategicStockpile.htm

table of silver stockpile levels through to depletion:
    http://about.ag/data/csv/stockpiles.htm

2. millededge

millededge Active Member

3. Bazil

Bazil Member Silver Stacker

Nice One! Very Interesting for sure.

I'm hopefully going to get a few of the bars that they made from the same silver.
    Continental coin minted 5oz and 10oz bars in a few different designs as well as the 1oz Trade Unit you have. I've Also seen a 100oz bar on USA Ebay. =P