Two headed Dollar coin

Discussion in 'Currencies' started by Reeve, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Reeve

Reeve Member

A local at my pub bought to my attention a 2005 double headed 1 dollar coin he had. A coin shop in Adelaide said it was worthless because they didn't deal with that kind of thing. I said it is properly worth more then just 1 dollar and i would find out. Unfortunately i do not have a photo to show you but i am sure it looks like what you are thinking.

I am just trying to work out it's value?

Thanks for your help guys,
    Happy new year!

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

It could be worth a bit, I will give him $2 for it one for each face LOL

One thing that may have happened is someone cutting down two coins and rejoining, have seen this with Pennies so would not doubt someone could do it now ? 2005 is an interesting year as well, as they released a Mob Of Roos into circulation and it should never have happened.

In a minting process this seems highly unlikely that this could occur as they are punched top and bottom ? So it would take either the coin to be taken out and restamped with only one die, twice ? Or the mint put two die heads instead again highly unlikely. But like they say anything is possible.

I would certainly be interested to see it, and I would offer more than $2 :)

3. Reeve

Reeve Member

Yeah i did a bit of reading and heard the ways people try and shaft people. I should ask if i can borrow it for a night so i can take a photo. ill do the drop test see if it sounds real. It would be pretty hard for the mint to screw it up so i was wondering if there was a known batch that stuffed up.

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would say it is worth around $33

Might not be a "stuff up"

Bored night shift, or a worker who knows the value of error coins.

Unlikely that there would be just the one known if it was an error.

You can also mill out the face of one side, leaving just the outer rim and you can then turn another coin until the outer rim is just gone and then pop the two coins together.

This way you will not find a join around the outer edge.

[​IMG]
    Source:http://spy-coins.com/

5. Reeve

Reeve Member

Cheers mate, much appreciated, imma grab it off him and take a photo or 2 :)