Turkish Gold Coins - Lira, Meskuk and Ziynet

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by JNS, Oct 8, 2015.

1. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

I had been a silent reader for some years to SS, I found this forum by a quick search when i went to Melbourne for a visit and started my stacking.
    I bought couple of silver and gold coins. I was afraid that time because i never transported bullion on airport. I ask the dealer if i will have a problem
    on these coins at the airport but the guy from the store tell me there will be no problem at all. So i brought them safely home and i was so relieve for my first pick.

I had bought this year a couple of Meskuk 5 liras and 1 liras, I call them Ankara gold coin, i also bought an old gold liras and Sets of Gold Ziynet.
    the price are so standard that all the stores in Turkey are same when it comes to gold coins. You can buy them in any jewelry stores or gold bazaars.

Just wondering why the Turkish gold coins are not so popular gold coin wherein they are renowned as the country (lydian) where the world first gold coins were minted.
    Their gold coin population also is quite big. They minted a lot of coins. In the internet, the information is so narrow to tell.

Anybody among our stackers who collects Meskuk and Ziynet?

Last week i bought 5 Lira Gold meskuk 36.08 grams 0.9166 for 1190 usd. The fractionals are the same price category for 5 lira, so 1 lira is 238 usd 7.216 Gr. So if you buy 5pcs 1 lira the price is same. The same goes with gold ziynet but since they are decorative gold coins, mostly use as a wedding present or as a gift on important occasions. They are much more cheaper for a couple of dollar than the meskuk coin.

This is my first post, I hope to hear from our stackers. Thank you very much.

JNS

2. JNS

Here are some of Turkish gcoins pix, hope it will works:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JNS

3. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I love this gold BUT seldom see it in Singapore.

4. JNS

I checked also in some web site, so expensive. But just passing through gold markets in Istanbul, Izmit and Mersin, I bought the fractionals same premium with the ounzer. I am continuously acquiring the ounzer and converting my savings with Meskuk coin. Also they have ATM bank machines disposing gold bars.

5. HugeMetalFan

HugeMetalFan Member

Those are some great shots of those coins JNS, a very good looking coin, but one that I haven't seen in my local coin shop. If I did though rest assured that the premiums would be a sight higher than those you're use to seeing :). I'm also thoroughly entertained by the notion of gold coin deposit machines- how many of us would check the coin return slot

6. JNS

Thank you, Hugemetalfan

1.754 grams ziynet, that was Lira or 25 piastres that cost only for 58-62 usd on gold bazaar or gold market. It is with a purity of 91.66% 22K. This is the smallest fractional for ziynet. The premiums are the same in all sizes up to 35.08 grams which was the 5 Lira or 500 piastres. Most jewelry shops keep it on their cash register. A lot of decent gold shop have always few gold fractional coins. I really enjoy the fractionals and planning to buy more.

7. Lord_Dudley

Lord_Dudley Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi JNS,

This is good timing with your post.

I have a friend travelling to Istanbul the end of October. How do I tell him to get me a 5 lira ankara gold coin? Any particular reputable store?

LD

8. JNS

Good day Lord_Dudley, If he will be at Istanbul, just go to Grand Bazaar, find the biggest gold market store and he could ask for Meskuk 5 Lira. These coins are common circulated for them so he needs to check for best quality. I used to download this reference in my iPhone ( http://www.sacra-moneta.com/varia/pdf/monnaies-dor-turquie.pdf ) to facilitate the conversation with store owners in the beginning. Anyway, most of the store owners are english speaking but seldom buyers looks for 5 Lira, 1 Lira is a common buy. Some stores also has a display of Ziynet and meskuk coins with welded brass hook. He will never fail because in Istanbul its too plenty good stores. After the buying, they will offer him free tea at the store as sign of good transaction. Also, the most of the store owner never give official receipt except stores inside the mall. They will just a offer a business card and write at the back of it. Remember to ask first how much is 1 Lira Meskuk then multiply it by 5. The rate are also around the stores small electronic bill boards. Just let him shop around and compare the quality of coins. FYI, The thickness of 5 lira is 2.5mm. The technical specification you can find on that pdf.

I hope it helps.

JNS

9. Lord_Dudley

Lord_Dudley Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks JNS. That is very helpfull.

LD.

10. JNS

New picked meskuk 36.08grams x 2 @ 1190usd

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. epop

epop Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source:

12. Eliassamaha

Eliassamaha Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just thought I'd ask about the elephant in the room

How can you be certain that these coins are real

13. Monsta

Monsta Member

I would have thought in the case of the slabbed one above, it's guaranteed by PCGS.

Otherwise, do your normal testing if you are unsure. Note that these are legal tender coinage, however I am not up with the Turkish counterfeiting laws pertaining to Legal Tender & Currency.

You would be much more likely to get 'fake' gold in jewellery than coins because that is where the volume is. You can also get locally minted certicard silver & gold which is uncommon in this part of the world.

14. Eliassamaha

I've bought many fake coins slabbed just because it's slabbed doesn't guarantee anything

But what I was meaning how safe is it buying coins in a market place in turkey surly you'd have concerns

15. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've bought many fake coins slabbed just because it's slabbed doesn't guarantee anything

Really? Pics please because in my experience a quick check . the cert number and a cursery inspection of the slab is all it takes to identify a fake slabbed coin. Unless you purchased them for educational purposes I would be surprised that you have been duped multiple times with slabbed coins

16. epop

epop Member

I collect coins for many years. All those years i am member in numismatic forums. Many people claim that they have fake coins in slabs but nobody ever post a picture of such coin. Those two companies have quarantee for authentication. And I know from first hand that PCGS full compensate here in Greece a forum friend, who's fake coin ,a 1852 half drachma which is an esoteric coin, slabbed.

17. epop

epop Member

also buying gold in Turkey is easy and safe. They have very strict laws for counterfeits .They had gold stock exchange and many banks also deal in gold. Two of their big refiners are LBMA members and gold in this particular country is a big business

Miksture likes this.
  18. Eliassamaha

I tried to find photos but couldn't

I didn't take photos and had to send back for a refund

The xrf doesn't lie and believe me I have nothing to gain by saying I bought fake slabbed coins

But any way you believe what you want it must be nice to be rich

One thing I've learnt is you never can be too carefully but like I said don't get touchy with me I know what I bought and I know what they xrf tested

People should take note of you guys and check coins bought of you

Counterfeits are very good these days

The 2 slabbed coins looked real good I wasn't going to test them but luckily I did, even my jeweller was surprised they were fakes

But like I said no skin of my back all my coins are xrf tested and real

I dug this up the eBay seller didn't respond so I got to keep it

Source[​IMG]:

19. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice one, cast aspersions that our coins are suspect now without showing us proof of your statement that you have handled a fake Pcgs slab.
    I take offense to your insinuation that I would ever sell a fake coin or that I am incapable of distinguishing the difference

20. Eliassamaha

I have nothing to gain by lying about fake slabbed coins

What you buy is your business

I'm not casting anything people should know your opinion if buying from you

My intention is not to offend you but I find you're attitude to fake coins is way to relaxed

Obviously all your coins haven't been xrf tested you seem like one of the people coin fakers love