Tsavorite Garnet

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by lucky luke, May 5, 2012.

1. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tsavorite Garnet is a relatively rare green garnet (as opposed to common red garnet). I haven't seen many pieces as jewellry, but would like to see other pieces that stackers might have. Here's a piece that I cut and had mounted in a 22k broach. The stone only weighed .8 ct but was flawless and of top grade colour.

[​IMG]

2. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

3. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Source: [​IMG]

Here is one on the left with a Tzav. Garnet also has a pink saphire,Aus. opal and hard to se but has 6 little diamond shaped black jade inlay running down the side in 18k white gold, the one on right is a purple saphire and Aus. Opal . I made these about 14 years ago so I am not terribly proud of them but they were interesting stuff I was doing. I love Tzavorite Garnets and found other people really do as well , very cool stones. I am working on a custom ring now with Tzav. Garnets and diamonds I will post a picture when finished if I can get a decent one.

4. wilkes

wilkes Member

You aren't happy with them!?!?! They are some of the nicest rings I have EVER seen!!

5. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Hey Thanks alot, I really appriciate that! I will post some more stuff from time to time , I really did not expect such a nice compliment.

6. lucky luke

I think they are brilliant pieces of work. If thats what you made 15 years ago, what are you making today!!! Nice work!!

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

I have a few loose pieces.. i like the look of it.. didnt realise it was more rare but knew the red/cola was common

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I love tsavarite garnet. It's far rarer than emerald.

If my memory serves me correct it only comes from a 4 square mile area of Tanzania and was discovered in the 60's.

9. lucky luke

Correct. Actually comes mostly from the Tsavo National Park with the border being both Kenya and Tanzania (if I have my geography correct). As is the case with many valuable/fashionable jewellry, there quickly follows other claims of rough being "tsavorite" garnet from other parts of the world but its simply not the same material or quality of the material from the Tsavo National park.

Some tsavorite garnet is of a poorer mint green color. The most expensive and best quality is a rainforest rich green (the same colour as the rough I have :D ).