Trying to understand....

Discussion in 'Silver' started by mmissinglink, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Buy, buy, buy and pray, pray, pray, price won't remain low for next decade. ;)

2. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

If gold or silver price would be zero, then it is given away for free. Not sure which owners would give it away for free. Maybe central banks or some people with charity intentions?
    That zero is of course just a margin value as to make clear what it implies.
    Which current gold / silver owner is willing to sell at lower prices than today?
    Anyone here willing to sell silver at $15? $10? $5? or maybe a $4.99 tag?

3. Stark

Well of course for shorter period. But you never know for long period.;)

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Yes, that's the way i look at it as well. I don't buy into the $2000 silver spot or even the $500 silver spot rhetoric that I have seen being spewed by some permabulls. Even if silver hits $75 some day in the future (in today's dollars), that's a very good ROI for stackers who are buying blobs now, if they can sell those blobs at that price if it ever hits in the ballpark of $75, they will have done well as investors.

As for semi-numis, that's a little different. I think the passage of time is the best way to see which coins will have been the best purchases and which one's not as good.

I think that most here agree that the best bet to reduce risk is to diversify their stack. I feel I am definitely not diversified enough although I have some diversity. I still have different bullion coins that I want to add (like Libertads which I currently have none of) and more alternative metals like palladium as just one example. Certainly it is step by step as other very important expenses have priority (mortgage, medical expenses, living expenses for my extended family, etc, etc, etc)

Many here know the struggle of how to manage paying these kinds of expenses at the same time of trying to take advantage of adding to their stack. It's not easy for the average person.

5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The amount of silver in mass produced consumer goods is fairly insignificant in comparison to the overall cost base so when they pass on the increased silver price, even though it may triple, the consumer probably wont be too bothered so they to get the product.
    For example, there's about 36cents worth of silver in the average phone. I'm sure at $100 silver the consumer won't mind paying an extra 84cents to get that phone.

The question for me is at what price do companies start taking the recovery and recycling of silver seriously? At the moment it's uneconomical but at $100/oz that may not be the case.

6. Stark

I'm sure it will cost more than 84 cents. I was talking about grams not ozs. Current price of gram is around 0,5. At around 75 will that part of the phone costs 150x more. :)

7. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

That part of the phone will cost more, but over parts of the phone may become cheaper.

They will just price their product so that any volatility that happens within spot price of silver is irreverent. If spot price went to 100 apple won't stop producing their iPhones. This years model is about 30 more expensive than last years, and spot price is cheaper!

You really think that spot is going to jump from 0.5 euro to 75 euro per gram some time soon? :lol:

8. pdkbffwleo

pdkbffwleo New Member

who cares? You shouldnt buy silver for it's "beauty" anyway. Personally, I don't think it's very pretty.

9. pdkbffwleo

pdkbffwleo New Member

Just poor logic, narrow-minded thinking.

You're talking a few dollars, for one part of many...when microprocessors become cheaper as I type this.

10. pdkbffwleo

pdkbffwleo New Member

No.

But, as life "happens" and people lose jobs, need food/shelter, there were ALWAYS be somone who sells Ag at 15, 10, 5, and $4.99.

11. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

pdkbffwleo why shouldn't you buy silver for its beauty? I don't see anything wrong with collecting silver than you like. I personally think silver is a beautiful metal.

I stack silver ultimately for the investment, but I don't just buy the cheapest to spot silver I can buy. I only buy silver that I like, and I want to collect, and don't might paying premiums for it, as I can probably get that back when selling in the future. So I buy silver that is beautiful.

12. pdkbffwleo

pdkbffwleo New Member

You can buy silver for whatever you like. If more "beauty" is what you want, then keep buying more "beauty."

I personally don't think it's a beautiful metal. I purchase for a hedge against inflation, because I was getting less than 1% return on paper in my savings account. I haven't looked at my silver in months. It's not something I get enjoyment from...i.e., holding it, looking at it, petting it, stroking it...I have other things for that.

I simply want to DCA downwards, sit...wait...and in 5 years sell for 15-50% profit. It beats the alternative.

If I am forced to sell at a loss, I won't miss the shiny stuff...at all.

13. pdkbffwleo

pdkbffwleo New Member

"beautiful" is in the eye of the beholder, so you may buy what you think is beautiful, but that other do not.

I also only purchase coins, i.e., buffalo's, kook's, Eagles, and CAN wildlife series...because I believe those are more collectible.

But, for each person who thinks those coins are cute/pretty/beautiful, there is a collector who disagrees.

I prefer purchasing coins that are limited production (such as above) because I think they'll maintain a premium.

But, I don't think they're beautiful...in any way.

14. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I'm sure that big companies that produce cell phones for example are interested in new technologies and materials that could replace materials that are volatile in cost. I'd bet that there is a price point where a big company would implement a new, less volatile, proven material to replace silver. Whether graphene will be that material or something else, it's just a matter of time. Now multiply this by hundreds of different types of products manufactured by different types of companies and we could see silver's value as an industrial metal take a serious hit that it may never fully recover from.

Although, on the other hand, it is at this time in history tied to gold's price at the hip and if silver ever suffers the fate of being industrially irrelevant, gold may be its savior.

Just food for thought folks.

15. Stark

It was more (provocative) joke than not. :) People here are speculating all possibilities from next huge recession to huge increase in prices, etc. No one really know what will happen. It rarely happen that someone predicted everything that has then happened. Even if that it is so is nearly impossible to make many predictions that will realize.

You replied to this answer yourself (most common heard statement on this forum): "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". ;) I like it more than gold so I'm prefer purchasing it. It's just personal opinion. And I know I am not the only one. ;)
    As I've said in some other posts. I buy some silver (coins) because I like and other for selling it.

Even microprocessors has their limits. It's called power usage and cooling system. If you take a look at desktop processor performance their isn't increasing so much. GPU for desktop as well. Sure the technology will go on and I doubt they won't find better materials or cooling solutions.
    Intel is investing many billions every time is changing architecture of its processors. And there is no guarantee that every new series will be successful as previous one.