Treasury is spending $200,000 on survival kits for bankers

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by smk762, Dec 15, 2014.

1. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is some sort of disaster expected? That's the question.

When I worked in Tokyo, most employees had a survival kit and everyone had survival stuff at home. We even got a helmet. I only ever needed the helmet when there was that big quake in 2011.

I still stock last-resort stuff now that I'm in Aus. It just seems sensible.

3. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Probably this ...

DHS: 100 Million Americans Could Lose Power in Major Sun Storm
    "Millions of Americans face catastrophic loss of electrical power during a future magnetic space storm that will disrupt the electric grid and cause cascading infrastructure failures, according to a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) document.

DHS' Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) stated in an internal 2012 fact sheet outlining its response plan for severe "space weather" that the actual impact and damage from a future solar storm is not known.

"An analysis of the space weather impacts indicates that the greatest challenge will be to provide life-saving and life-sustaining resources for large numbers of people that experience long-term power outage from damage to the U.S. electrical grid," the FEMA document, dated March 1, 2012, states.

The FEMA fact sheet noted the findings of a 2010 study by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the agency that monitors sun storms, warning that an extreme solar storm could leave "130 million people without power for years," and destroy or damage more than 300 hard-to-replace electrical grid transformers."

read more at http://freebeacon.com/national-secu...mericans-could-lose-power-in-major-sun-storm/

4. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for reminding me of that. it's happened before and we missed a big one recently. It could be very bad next time.