Travelling to China

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Suckering Suckertash, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Suckering Suckertash

Suckering Suckertash New Member

If you were going to travel to China, how could you buy Pandas directly from the source?

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

By owning a bank :)

... 2012 Silver Pandas in China are usually more expensive than Silver Pandas outside of China...

Gold Pandas are usually a bit cheaper inside China.

3. Suckering Suckertash

Suckering Suckertash New Member

That's unbelievable. So I guess the only purchase of any value would be a gold panda. Where are pandas sold? I was under the impression that all banks sell them.

4. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

If yennus is right, and there's no way I'm going to be the one to say that he isn't :)

I suggest you take a suitcase full of silver Pandas with you and then buy all the gold one's you can... an arbitrage trade?

5. yennus

There's a tax on all silver in China (on the Mainland). There's no tax on silver in China (Hong Kong side).

2012 silver and gold Pandas can be purchased at almost all banks in China (Mainland). But you will likely get them cheaper from Maggie (and others outside of China).

Some rich Chinese people fly to the USA (and elsewhere) to pickup Pandas, and bring them back to China to sell.

Reggie's onto something :)

However, there are limitations on how much gold and silver you can bring out of China. No limits on what you can bring in :)

I've bought from one of the main distributor's a few times... but I've often had to pay retail rates on bullion Pandas. The best deals are almost always done through 'guangxi' and a few other select places.

The Panda Forum at Silverstackers is one of those select places :)

If you intend on coming to China, build up some 'guangxi' here in the Panda Forum, and it'll be my pleasure to show you around Shanghai.

25Grizzlies wrote a review about his time here: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-20908-shanghai-part-i-page-1.html

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_25griz1993.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_25griz.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]

6. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Holy crap, thankfully we don't have a 'coin shopping mall', as 25Grizzlies described it in the thread you linked to, of that size here in the UK...I"d be broke for 29 days of the month!

I've got to start talking to the wife about a holiday in China.

So how big is coin collecting in China.. I've heard that it's 'big', but I didn't realise it could support stores of that size? In my home city we have one small coin/stamp store, about 3m x 3m, which stocks about 50 coins of a dubious heritage.

And are the pics of 25Grizzlies and you yennus? In the UK they serve fish&chips in newspapers, not Pandas :)

7. yennus

Yep, in China, coin shops work on a different scale.

Coin collecting in China is BIG on a gross scale (millions of collectors)... on a per capita scale it's pretty small but growing. Hence, I think the Pandamonium is in its early days. When it takes off, I think we are going to see some pretty amazing days ahead of us.

The pics are of 25Grizzlies... Yennus doesn't do photos :)

8. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

no one is allowed to take photo,s of the KING OF ALL PANDA,S, the elusive Mr. Yennus:):)

9. upandaway

upandaway Member

Definitely agree with the Yennus on the price of bullion Pandas in China being pricey. A friend who lives there bought me a 2011 1 ounce silver coin from a bank last year and it was some 15% over the cost from a normal European or UK dealer including the taxes. Won't be doing that again!!