Trading Feedback - change from opt-in to opt-out

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by goldpelican, Feb 4, 2011.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Most users on the forum are aware that a new trading feedback mechanism was implemented in December (see http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-59502.html#p59502). There's been some feedback on the usability of the feature, and I thought I would open it up to discussion before implementing any changes.

Opt-In vs Opt-Out vs Mandatory

Currently the feature is opt-in, requiring both parties to have signed up for the feature in order to leave or receive feedback. This has caused some confusion with members not being able to leave feedback not realising that they need to activate the feature, and frustration for others not being left feedback when they've completed successful trades. I'm considering making the feedback mechanism opt-out, or even mandatory (eBay is mandatory). I'm in favor of the mandatory approach, but realise that some members will feel very strongly about this, so I'm throwing it open to discussion.

Viewing feedback

Feedback can only be viewed under a member's profile alongside of a post in the Buy, Sell and Swap forums. This was to avoid the trading feedback being misinterpreted as general "user feedback", which it is not reflective of. This will continue to be the case, however I will also make trading feedback visible under a member's extended profile when you click on their user name from any thread (or a user search) this will allow you to view a member's trading feedback when responding to a private message where the member may not have posted a response to a thread in the Buy, Sell and Swap forums.

Trading feedback will NOT be visible under a members name in every post of the forum - I want to be clear that it is trading feedback, not a general member rating system, and I believe that publishing it alongside of every post will result in misinterpretation.

Leaving feedback

Currently feedback can only be left by clicking a + or symbol under a member's profile alongside of a post in the Buy, Sell and Swap forums. This has created some issues for users not being able to leave feedback where the other party may not have posted a response to a thread in the Buy, Sell and Swap forums, and it's simply difficult to find for some users. I'm planning on adding additional places where leaving feedback can be initiated, such as from the feedback history page where you can view a member's existing feedback.

Neutral feedback

The last change being considered is the introduction of a neutral feedback rating. Sometimes trades don't go smoothly, but you may not feel that negative feedback is warranted... however if no feedback is left, it fails to serve the purpose of a trading feedback mechanism honest feedback from prior parties as to a member's trading performance. This may prove to be technically difficult, so I am interested in hearing some feedback on this before undertaking any implementation of such a feedback feature.

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

opt out makes sense, Mandatory is very "un-SilverStackers" concept :)

3. goldpelican

Hence giving everyone input into the decision :)

4. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

+1 to opt out.

As an aside, new members are unable to receive or leave feedback within the first 14 days of their membership. This can be disadvantageous to both the new member and existing members seeking feedback for recent trades. This almost seems like mandatory opting out for 14 days to me.

5. goldpelican

The 14 days isn't actually enforced by any software at the moment. It was designed to avoid "sledge and run" type feedback - we've had sockpuppets on the forum before.

6. Mark

Mark New Member

I think there should be feedback on all trades. A lot of trade happens here and a lot of money is involved so having it mandatory would be a safe thing, and it will make first timers to trades feel a bit more secure.

+1 for mandatory

7. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

Sockpuppets. LOL.

<me>reaches for a hummer and beats sockpuppets until the fiat comes out of them</me>

Totally understand. :)

Edit for crappy spellink.

8. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

+ 1 for opt out

9. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1 to access via User profiles.

I was trying to leave some feedback a little while ago and had to search back through 8 pages of threads in the Trading forums to find a post by the person which I could use to get to their feedback form. They hadn't left a "PM sent" post in the trading thread I started.

If its possible to get to a user's feedback score quickly from the Private Message interface that would be even better since all trades end up being completed via PM.

-1 to mandatory feedback.

I can imagine people trading some items where it would be better for everyone if there were no details of the trade being left behind.

10. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Opt out option is easier to manage. + 1

11. goldpelican

Just to clarify mandatory - I meant mandatory participation in the trading feedback scheme, not mandatory feedback to be left for every trade (which would be impossible to enforce).

Opt-out certainly sounds like it has overwhelming support. Users can exercise their own discretion as to whether they want to trade with a member who has opted out.

12. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

Opt out for me ..seems to be the most transparent option.

13. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

+1 for opt-out
    +1 for "sockpuppet filter" :)
    +1 for access in PM interface

14. goldpelican

The opt-out option will be implemented - it's quicker than the rest, they will take a few days.

15. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

I've noticed that people can only leave feedback for you if they can find one of your posts in the trade section. Is that right?

It seems a little inconvenient. Someone wanted to leave feedback for me, but I hadn't made any recent posts in the trade section. Fortunately they contacted me asking about it rather than just not doing it, but it seems to be not that intuitive atm.

Since a lot of trades go through PM's maybe there should be some way to do it there...