Trade unwanted gold jewellery for gold bullion?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by BullionBoy, Sep 22, 2015.

1. BullionBoy

BullionBoy New Member

I have 64 grams of 14 karat gold jewellery that has been put away for many years because I don't wear it and I have no attachment to it. I'm wondering does it matter what form my gold collection is in? Should I trade this in for about 35 grams of gold bullion? It is still worth about the same amount of money anyway (less premiums).

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

you'll find some jewellers who offer spot value for it, but generally if it was to be refined these costs would be considered in the offer to you

3. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Keep the gold as it is until prices rise.
    Gold is gold is gold.
    Or if you really decide to sell it do it online at an auction site for current spot +calculated fees and either it will sell for spot (or more) or you relist.
    Personally i would list it as cheap wearable jewelry and have a link to something similar online from a retail outlet.
    That will make your $60 gold necklace look good when it is selling for $300+ in a shop.
    JMHO of course, but i have made plenty of money doing this.

4. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Problem with being in Canada is most shops will offer you below spot price for the gold jewellery.

5. 2nd_Hand_Gold_Man

2nd_Hand_Gold_Man Member

id be keeping it....if you buy bullion your up for fees as high as 5% and that puts you 5% behind the 8ball (the spot price)the gold you have is worth spot (and your not paying a cent in fees by keeping it)if you sell today (its worth spot) if you sell in 5 years its still worth spot price......id be keeping it and saving a few $$$$ and add some bullion bars to your collection..and if you ever sell it it will still be worth SPOT......gold is gold ,keep it and add to it and hope the spot climbs and climbs ........