TOPIC: does EBAY have an effect on MCC values and if so what is it?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by jc888888888, Aug 22, 2012.

1. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

MY opinion: love to hear from everyone!
    digoxin wrote:
    Although it would hurt a bit if you paid the below prices(esp the $2700)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/110677438901#ht_4483wt_958
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/390342389539#ht_500wt_742
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/270898197453#ht_720wt_958
    The funny thing about an auction ,you never know:) 2 or 3 strong bidders and you get a mirror going for 2700.00 was that EVER the market ?? IMHO I think not , 1100 I think is a little low, if I needed one I would not be afraid to buy at that level........... ebay is becoming something other than an auction in the true sense of the word, AND IN MY OPINION IS DEFLATING COIN VALUES ,all this sniping software etc etc ,when you see a 200 bid move to 500 in the last 3 seconds of bidding ,is that an auction ?????? personally I don't think so ,the same coin in an old fashion auction run by human beings probably would bring 800( that is why you see higher prices from auctions like stacks & bower,s etc the tempo is orchestrated by the auctioneer and everyone has a chance to place a bid) that coin on ebay might have 15 people interested in it but they have essentially 3 seconds to place a bid and 12 of them are shut out by machines ,I would love to hear other folks opinion on this.................

2. kucingfight

kucingfight New Member

i would have opine that (imo)

a) as in most cases, ebay completed auctions are frequently used as the pricing benchmark for the preceding auctions. (ask any Tom, dick & harry, and they will right away do a search on ebay)

b) in most cases, MCC (and other coins) are only based on demand-supply. by virtue of itself, they only have face value or in worst case, metal content value itself

c) probably, year 2011, when silver (in this case) was at its peak, and with the surge of QEs, ppl had more 'money' to splurge around so to speak, thus 'inflating' MCC prices

d) probably now, we are seeing a consolidating phase of MCC pricing.

e) well, it could be good/bad news, depending on the buyer/seller 's perspective.

f) personally, i find no faults/issues with ebay's method of auctioning. (including last min's sniping)

3. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

The part of the e bay puzzle that some folks might not realize is: the reality is many sellers use e bay as an advertizing tool ,especially in the upper end of the MCC market, I dont believe it would be a stretch to say 30% of the transactions in the upper end of the market are done off e bay, between a buyer and a seller, so for every 2000 mirror you see auctioned for 1100 , I am not off base to say there are 2 that are listed for lets say 25oo and sell for 1500 (this is just an example) astute buyers and sellers do not like fee,s:)

4. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I rarely ever sell on eBay anymore. In fact, it has become my last resort. I realize people like to use eBay as a price guide, but auctions are dependent on many factors, so I don't think eBay sales always reflect the true value of an item. At the same time, I've had trouble selling pandas at the suggested values in the Pricepedia as well.

5. low

low New Member

I think when a buyer have enough time to look at any price guide to make their buying decision, most of the time they will try to beat the price guide.

On the other hand, if the coin is good enough for buyer to make impulse buy, that is when the surprise come. The coin need not to be scarce or rare.

6. Ryaneod

Ryaneod New Member

JC,

I have noticed more and more that ebay adds a unique twist to things. First of all you WON'T find anything for spot on there at all. I have found I can order stuff from SilverTowne and then throw it on ebay and usually flip a profit. The only problem is the hassle of shipping things and the ebay fee's. That is for standard rounds, when you start looking at panda's, if they aren't graded SO many people are afraid of fakes, me included. Then the graded ones it seems like either the pictures suck or they are inaccurate descriptions or something just appears shady. I don't bid on many things on ebay but the things I do bid on I ALWAYS go for someone I have either dealt with before (Scottsdale) or someone that has a strong reputation. Just my 2 cents.