Top graded ASE proof in slab that has developed a spot

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Silver Bullion Boy, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Silver Bullion Boy

Silver Bullion Boy New Member

Hi, I have a 02 PF-70 ASE graded and slabbed by NGC that has developed a spot on the obverse. As far as I have read this will destroy the value of the coin, is this correct? And is there anything I can do about this? This has really enoyed me to say the least!:( i would have posted up some pictures but I do not know how to do this with the settings on this forum?

2. Silver Bullion Boy

No opinions on this?

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, unfortunately it can happen to all coins and is likely to devalue the coin to collectors.

You could try sending it to NCS for conservation, where they may have some success in removing the whitespots, and then sending it back to NGC for grading... but you are likely to lose the MS70 grade.

It may still have its full value to some collectors though - some people aren't as picky as others... and some people may even deny that whitespots can happen to ASEs.

4. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

5. Silver Bullion Boy

Hi thanks again lads for the info. I thought there was something that I could do myself, then I have been having a good think about sending it to NGC, the problem is the U.K. customs. I had to pay 20% vat when I purchased this coin from the States, and I am sure if I send it back over, on its return I will get hit again for 20%, as the insured value on the package is the taxable point. And take into consideration the insured shipping it is just not worth it. I will just have to wait and see what I get back for it down the line. How do you upload pictures to the site, as I have tried and it is not working, as I would like to show the spot on this PF-70 silver eagle?