Toning of coins/medals. Is that more valuable or less valuable?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by andrewlee10, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

We've already had this discussion here a long time ago.

But I'll mention it again..

You do acknowledge the fact that dipping a coin is an additional & even worse form of surface corrosion, than had you simply left the toned coin alone, correct?

Just want to make sure. Yes or no will suffice.. ;)

2. Gatito Bandito

Remember this one? :D

Would you say another from a former PCI slab?

[​IMG]

3. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Yes, That is very likely PCI toning. Terrific looking coin. Give it back...lol.

4. Gatito Bandito

Thanks for the info.

Fantastic coin, indeedy..

And the price of this type has since appreciated considerably! :D

But special price for you.. Only 50% more than what I paid.. ;)

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Yes.

6. Gatito Bandito

I think we've made a bit of a breakthrough here today.

We're out of time, but we'll explore this some more next week.

Please see the receptionist on the way out.. ;)

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

^ I feel like Monk after a session....I just can't believe time ran out so quickly. :)

8. Gatito Bandito

To answer Andrew's original question, now that we've seen some examples of what could be perceived as nicely-toned specimens to certain collectors..

Yes, I've personally paid more $$ for great toning that caught my eye, all else being equal.

In at least 3 out of the 5 that I shared here, I know for a fact that the realized price was inflated due to the toning, when compared to a non-toned or not-so-great-toned one. And I happily paid up -- before somebody else would have.

Obviously a variety of other factors come into play (original mintage, approx surviving mintage, overall demand & availability, grade, condition, personal budget & desire, etc. -- and even certain wear patterns for the circulated ones), which need to be calculated into the equation.

But nice toning, to me, is oftentimes essential. I usually skip over the clean ones (obviously dipped, or otherwise, as in a center-of-the-bag Morgan).

And I definitely skip over the dark/gross/ugly ones, some of which are probably a good candidate for a method of tarnish-removal that wouldn't result in the coin getting a Details grade. Yes, mmissing.. in some cases it's difficult to argue *against* trying to remove at least some of the offensive toning if done in an appropriate way & if the person knows what they're doing. However, keep in mind that once done successfully, you might potentially be in for an unpleasant surprise of what's been hidden underneath, as well -- and there's no turning back at that point.

Anyway..

Yes, the nicely-toned ones are special & unique snowflakes, no two ever exactly alike. :p

And they're fantastic to admire. Usually even nicer in-hand, which can't be fully captured in photos/videos.

However, there's also the added bonus, if slabbed & the image was recorded by the TPG, of the toning as a *security feature*.

Is a counterfeiter honestly going to try to replicate down to the minute details of the exact toning of this specific piece? Good luck with that. :lol:

Instead, I believe their time & money is better spent elsewhere. (And yes, there are some who try to doctor fakes to make them look toned/worn, and usually do a horrible job -- but that's also where the TPG's large high-res images come in handy for a potential buyer/seller.)

So, awesome to look at? Holds its premium & desirability? Plus potentially a great security feature?

Yeah, I'd say any extra $$ (reasonably speaking) is worth it -- at least for relatively older coins (say, 10+ years)...

9. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree with mmissinglink, if I have to choose between "clean" and toned coin or medal I would select first any day. Over years my opinion maybe changed a little bit as some toned PM looks quite nice and as somebody said it gives some uniqueness to the medal or coin.

Long live clean coins (Earth)!:p

10. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well say, I start to love some nice natural toning coins. However, I need to study it more and learn more of it before buying the expansive item. I bought my 27 gram and 1 oz silver panda from year 1983 till current with NGC 69 or above within 1/2 years to fulfil my eager to get things done. I pay a bit higher premium than other to get it in short period. I learn the experiences and try not to repeat again.

11. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Half baked brass/copper toning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Here is a new toner I scored.

1990 Silver Eagle PCGS MS69

[​IMG]

[​IMG]