Tokelau 1 oz silver coins a good deal right now?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by petrol, Sep 25, 2015.

1. petrol

petrol New Member

Seeing as im finding it hard to catch any "Deals" on 1 oz coins, I was wondering what everyones opinion of these are? It looks like I can get them around $2.00 over spot and appear to be the cheapest markup I can find on Legal tender coins. It looks like they are $5.00 in NZD dollars. Ive heard many complain about the shallow stamping of these coins but at this price I can live with them. I usually buy 100-500 at a time. I have had to shut down my hoarding of RCM $5 1 oz coins (my general favorite) because they are getting above 3.00 over spot pretty much everywhere... Although I have been buying up about 1-2 10 oz RCM bars monthly for around 1.60 over spot.

BTW im new, sorry if a post talking about pricing is not allowed :)

2. Monsta

Monsta Member

10oz RCM bars is your best bet without going to Kilobars so it looks like you have been buying well. RCM's are lowest premium in the 10oz space generally, 9999 fine, well finished.

Maples are also pretty low in terms of premium, certainly amongst the Legal Tender rounds.

Where are you located? Only ask as there are some cheaper stock than these from where I am located, but you are talking NZD$2 Lunar Goats, $1 Kangaroos or Noah's Arks with a much lower face value.

3. petrol

petrol New Member

Ive also been buying a few 100 oz RCM as well but I like the 10's for the smaller denomination. Maples are my favorite however since they are legal tender and usually fairly low in terms of premiums. right now though at about 18.80-19.50 per coin I feel maples are a bit high premiums wise....

The Tokelau coin im specifically eyeing is the 2015 Tokelau 1 oz Silver $5 Mokoha Great White Shark Ive found them for 1710.00 shipped to my door for 100 coins.

Im located in Texas by the way.

4. Monsta

Monsta Member

Yes, I can see the Great Whites. I'm In Australia and there is only one stockist of the Tokelaus here that I can find - Perth Bullion (sponsor). And they are on backorder - no stock currently available.

I can see what you dealer is saying, while the design is nice in general terms, it definitely is a shallow strike and there's no polished sections on it either. But if you want to but 1oz Legal Tender and they are a significantly lower premium than anything else then go for it. The fact they are NZD5 denominated is a bonus, that's probably less in USD terms than what you get with Maples however.

100 here would be AUD$2584, or USD$1811 before postage. Seems significantly cheaper than here.

5. petrol

petrol New Member

6. petrol

petrol New Member

So i was browsing a few sites and noticed I could get the 2016 kangaroo's for about 1766.00 for 100 shipped to my door, the Tokelau shark coin is about 1720.00 for 100 shipped to my door. Is there any advantage of an Australian $1 coin over the Tokelau NZD $5 coin? Is The kangaroo worth more of a premium over spot (although its only .46 thats still 46 bucks that could buy more silver hahaha).

From what ive been reading the Tokelau sharks have minor imperfections and ugly minting. The kangaroos have horrific milking issues...

7. Monsta

Monsta Member

Lowest premium wins in my book. The higher face value is a bonus, but you (US based) will get a better conversion at face value from Maples.