Thoughts on the Road to Damascus - US Dollar

Discussion in 'Currencies' started by JulieW, Oct 14, 2012.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've been pondering the concept of the AUD declining to around 80c against USD. I've also been having 'realisations' about the enormity of the global economy and the resolve of the Powers That Be to keep the game going 'at all costs'. These thoughts intersected at the following article concerning USD as global reserve currency and its potential to hyperinflation and a shambolic collapse of the USA and the developed Western economies.

I'd be interested to hear perspectives on the potential of the USD to remain the reserve currency for a lot longer, after all the USD and the GBP held a joint role of Reserve Currency for quite a few years, and the potential for the USD to naysay the critics (e.g Peter Schiff et al) seems strong.

The following are excerpts from a bullish perspective on the USD. It's worthwhile reading the whole link and considering the other issues raised.
    http://charleshughsmith.blogspot.com/2012/10/what-will-benefit-from-global-recession.html

Bancor and more:
    and the crux of the matter:
    So with Australia a trading nation, how likely then that we'll continue at parity and above for the next few years at least?

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think it was summed up recently by a Reserve Bank official (on ABC RADIO NATIONAL) whom was asked to comment on Aust. trade customers holding onto Aussie Dollars as a wealth preservation hedge. Said official remarked and I paraphrase;

' the point of having our floating currency (AUD) is so that other countries can buy Aussie products with it. The moment there aren't enough dollars to facilitate trade, they (the Reserve Bank) have no qualms about releasing more'

I think it pretty much sums up that there is a narrow band of currency valuation imbalances they will tolerate which they will address with currency outflow. What that band is though is anyone's guess.

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Whenever I see stuff about the AUD, I can't shake the image of Japanese society out of my head.

You know, stagnating economy, appreciating Yen, no sex, love of small dogs. :rolleyes:

4. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No sex? :lol: I'm guessing you haven't visited Roppongi! ;)

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Not that sort.

And no, I haven't.

More the procreation let's make families type of sex. I guess it's the "I'll still love you even when the kids make you tired and they give me the shits, and you're old, grey, stooped, arrogant and obnoxious" type of sex I was referring to.

You know. That lifelong commitment type?

Or maybe you don't? :rolleyes:

Yet.

:lol: