These 3rd party coloured Perth Mint coins seem too good

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Mar 12, 2015.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

You mean the dreadful superman silver coins, right?

In terms of the Perth Mint applying color to a bullion coin, I believe that the bullion coins they apply color to are not the same bullion coin design that don't get color even though, for example, the color-applied coin is a 1 ounce silver bullion 2014 Lunar Horse and the other is a 1 ounce silver bullion 2014 Lunar Horse. If you look at the relief of the design, it appears as if the relief on the Perth Mint applied color coins is quite lower and less contrast as compared to the relief of the regular bullion coin without the color. The reason? An image made from color ink applied by a pad is much better applied on a flatter (less contrast of relief) surface.

Can anyone confirm this?

So, now in terms of after market color application, the reason why the images of the drawings in the first post of this thread are probably not going to look like the actual product because the coins being used are the regular bullion coins which have the higher relief and higher relief mean lesser color image quality I think.

The only way that I can see the after market coins (if they are using genuine PM bullion coins) looking as good at the drawings displayed is if there is some new printing technique that's out there that I'm not familiar with. Hand painting is out of the question because of the high, exorbitant cost that would be involved.

Anyone knows something about this that I don't...I'd be curious.

Don't get me wrong, those drawings look phenomenal...I just doubt that the actual coins will look that good.

2. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

But the micro printing is apparently on a completely flat surface....very, very different from printing on a relief surface.

Hey, btw, is that a buff chick with a beard on that coin? :D

4. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

I think it's a hippy

5. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

If they are that good then perth mint should learn a thing or two

6. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

Nah - it's a naked yogi showing off with a single hand handstand (could be wearing a mankini)

I not too keen on printed coins - easy for the paint to flake when abused or handled.

7. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I can feel your pain. :) I think I've sold most of mine, kept maybe only 1 or so. To me colored coins are somehow like "cheating". I appreciate much more if it's some silver coin with less details. Silver shinning, mirror proofs, antique finishing, gilded ones, everything is much nicer to me than "simple" color. :)

8. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

Personally I am not a colourised coin fan. I do appreciate that some of them look very nice and a lot of work has gone into them, but not for me.

Don't mean to go too off topic, and perhaps it was better to start a new topic. But how are these colourised coins actually produced? Are they painted by hand?