The value of silver stackers cannot be over stated

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by openeyes, Nov 3, 2019.

1. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Over the years I have seen many times where members support and protect each other in their pursuit and enjoyment of precious metals. This morning I noted a comment on one gold bar being traded. There is no presumption of wrong doing. Simply caution being stated for any member.

Many thanks to silver stackers members and particularly admins for maintaining such a supportive environment.

2. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That bar would have fooled me. Ironic that certicards were made to combat fakes and inspire trust but now are avoided like the plague. I would never buy a certicard via private sale unless it was a face to face with XRF handy.

yuripuka likes this.
  3. 66rounds

4. milled

milled Active Member

the other problem with certicards is, at least with PAMP, the glue fails and the surface plastic delaminates. I've seen this with gold and platinum. It happened even though all kept in low humidity, cool and dark. PAMP should up their game on this, considering the value of the metal.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    sammysilver and 66rounds like this.
  5. milled

milled Active Member

Baird has the same issue with soft plastic delamination but so far the glue has held

66rounds likes this.
  6. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree on the value of Silver Stackers, and the knowledge and generosity shown by many members here.

As for certicards, (and from my perspective, slabbed coins also), there is the potential for clever fakes to be disguised beneath the plastic, and so I've always avoided them.

Minted coins are the best option.

paruwka likes this.
  7. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is there a link to the fake gold bar being traded here? I must have missed it.

8. 66rounds

Skyrocket and Golden Monkey like this.
  9. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

These examples point out some historical situations and I was also referring to a more recent sale offer which has not been called a fake. But someone was concerned and expressed that people should consider having the item XRF’ed during purchase to be sure. The seller in this case was very confident of the facts and offered a substantial reward if proven fake.

Either way my point stands that this is a supportive environment for trading in PMs. It does not mean there is no risk but it is certainly substantially reduced with a bucket load of knowledge thrown in for good measure.

66rounds likes this.
  10. milled

milled Active Member

wow, just read all of that sorry story. Interesting one - not everything sold was counterfeit, just a few 1 oz certicard gold items and a refund in silver was sent to one of the people on SS but not the other.

there was another story here some time ago from regional Victoria about someone who was sent money and didn't send the goods, was a jailbird from memory. Sad that this happens here sometimes, but it is a much safer place than ebay or worse, gumtree. At least in Bali you know for sure you are buying a knockoff so in a way whatever you do about it has an honest footing of sorts.

66rounds likes this.
  11. 66rounds

What's sad about that is he had a good rep as a seller before hand and so the rule of trusting members with feedback was shattered. Hard to ask a member with good feedback to post first for verification before you pay. I guess maybe for larger buys it's better to stick to dealers to reduce risk.

12. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

66rounds likes this.