The Switch

Discussion in 'Silver' started by fishtaco, Dec 14, 2015.

1. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Recently switched from buying coins rounds and minted bars all nice and smooth and all to CHUNKY hand pours up to 10 oz :)

Is it a stacker progression fad or waste of money?

Fly,s opposite to my OCD where smooth and shiny in matching pairs used to rule.

2. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Over the course of my silver and gold bug evolution I have done similar things. In my experience, it has been more of a waste than a gain. If you like something and want to collect it then it's fine. But I found what works best for me is buying what I know I can sell at a profit right now instead of trying to guess what will be popular later or simply buying a bunch of stuff that seems "cool" to me at the moment.

I started out buying circulated US silver dollars (worst investment ever since very high premiums) thinking I was buying bullion. Then moved to Engelhards (that was good since they were cheap back then), then went to generic 1 and 10 oz bars, then gov minted coins, then foreign silver I get cheap (best deal for me) and then to US gov issued coins in fancy boxes or cases- commems and older silver proof sets, etc. that I can get cheap.

Now when I go out searching for things to buy I know what I can flip if necessary or what is selling for much more on ebay and I buy those things, as long as I can get them cheap. Sometimes if I am feeling the buying addiction and nothing on my "list" is available I will get cheap silver bars if they are available, just to keep the addiction at bay for a bit.

I found that the stuff I switched to that I thought was cool, would later become boring and I would switch to something else, on and on. Nowadays I won't buy stuff that isn't on my "list" for the most part, unless I plan on stashing it for a long time.

Just my opinion.

Jim

3. ryan71

ryan71 Member

I've switched to stuff with lower premiums.

4. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

It's a fad/progression. You follow the market and are most likely watching youtube videos which is featuring poured bars at the moment. Previously to poured bars was perth mint lunars. Either way, its a progression & fad, the same with rounds. It's natural. I like 10oz and up at the moment. For now, I'm getting some low premium and high premium stuff. The low is really low and the high is rare since they've come down in price a bit. I'm not sure if it works out but if you can get higher priced numismatics at a lower price point now, why not.. especially if its on your list. If it isn't, stick with what you like.