The Power Of Gold - Wall Street Journal

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by mickjohn, Mar 6, 2011.

1. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

March Edition of 'SmartMoney' by The Wall Street Jorunal features the Risks and Rewards of Gold investment.

This is a Front page article on a widely read, distributed magazine. The feature article runs for 6 complete pages. What I believe is an incredible amount of exposure.

Article is too long for me to type but it covers all the different ways to invest in gold, past performance, graphical comparisons against other investment types(and even one against wine).

No reference seen yet to Silver which is interesting.

Also, at a local pub last night and watched an ad appear a few times on a major sports channel for a company selling Gold Maples via phone order/mailout.

In the last month, I have seen the Gold Vending machines in Dubai, Magazine advertisements for gold, Mainstream TV media advertising (USA) and now it has been given this feature status in the magazine, there are increasing references to PMs appearing on investment channels both in Australia and abroad complimented by investment articles on the topic in newspapers.

Definitely say we are seeing more media coverage worldwide. It is starting to hit the wider populations radars and I think that the next 6-12 months may see demand intensify as more people become comfortable with the investment and 'educate' their peers on their investment decision.

As far as bubbles go..... We are not in one, we will be in one, it might be huge..... dont get caught when it pops.

edit to add....

Was very happy to see silver at $35 after been in transit for a few days..... Then i saw the amended price of a monster box and my smile turns into more of a frown.

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Begin phase 3?

3. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

its as 3ish as any in the last 5 yrs !

but im interested if the "inception" angle from the WSJ would be screaming BUBBLE or BUY ?!

4. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

Wow, lol! I haven't purchased much Ag since $28.50/oz and haven't even checked online shops. Just checked current prices of a 100oz box....$4k! Seemed like only yesterday they were $2.8k

$20k for a monster box.... :)

Edit: was told an Aussie TV show is going to run a "how to not get ripped off selling your gold" special. IIRC its "a current afair" tonight, monday 7th.

5. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

Here is the cover page... makes quite a statement.

[​IMG]

Also, out at dinner last night with a mate and on the table next to me were a youngish family of 5..... Guess what they were talking about???

Gold as an investment!!!!!

Father had heard from a mate about buying gold and they discussed it compared to the stock market... which they were currently fairly happy with.

Before anyone asks, the tables were super close at the restaurant and it wasnt my intention to listen... I heard a few key phrases and bang, tuned in.
    Not a big deal that one, just opens my eyes more.

Once again, no reference to silver there. Still cant figure that one.

Im currently in the states and travelling through, early days just thought id share what I am seeing. Promise not to bug y'all too much more.
    Go silver!!

edit to add:

Image swiped from http://goldandsilverblog.com/gold-featured-on-magazine-cover-should-we-be-worried-0167/

article content from same site

.... the rest of the story at the above website or here http://goldandsilverblog.com/gold-featured-on-magazine-cover-should-we-be-worried-0167/

6. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Another question is , will the internet compress the time it takes for it to "go viral" throughout society thus making it less than previous manias? I tend to think it will.

7. hilaire9

hilaire9 Member

The Wall Street Journal?
    Key word 'Wall Street'.

Wall Street to me means:'stockbroker'.

"Asking a stockbroker if it is time to buy stocks
    is like asking a barber if it is a good time for
    a haircut."

PMs in a bubble?
    Not even close says me.

I wonder how Mr. Rupert Murdoch is invested.
    If he gets into PMs grab your dangly parts and look out!

8. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In the Hunt Bros period I don't think most of the population was aware of the rise and fall (70's stackers correct me here). I had second hand awareness since a friend made a killing, but other than that Phase 3 then was amongst the cognoscenti mainly, GP trailed behind.

9. hilaire9

hilaire9 Member

I am an old silver stacker and recall the Hunt bros bubble.

At the time I was not sure what was happening (you must remember this was before the common Internet).

I saw a large price increase and sold about 50% of what silver I held.

The fact that the Hunt bros bought silver big for a few years was not known or understood at the
    time by the general public. My guess it is less understood today.

*edit*

What I mean to say, Ms. JulieW, we saw the rise and fall, but only
    true members of the Cognoscenti (certainly not me) knew what was happening.

10. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

Quick update:

Investors take a big shine to silver

Teaser on Front page of USA Today(daily newspaper) with full story on front page of the Business section.
    For the story go here: http://www.usatoday.com/money/markets/2011-03-08-silver08_ST_N.htm

USA today has a daily audience that comprises the following:
    Total readers: 3.3 million
    Male/Female: 64%/37%
    Median age: 49
    College graduate+: 45%
    Professional/Managerial: 33%
    Median HHI: $80,822