"the metals market is not driven by reason or logic"

Discussion in 'Silver' started by mmissinglink, Nov 3, 2014.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

"The 'Real' Reason Gold Will See $5000"

Insightful article on silver and gold.....

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2628365-the-real-reason-gold-will-see-5000?ifp=0

"I'm not a Gold Bug Basher, but I am amused every time that when Gold goes up it validates the bugs but when it goes down it's either irrelevant or a conspiracy. . . Sometimes I wish I was a Gold Bug because I would NEVER be wrong (regardless of what Mr. Market told me."

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

By Avi Gilburt. Would pay alil attention to what he's saying.

3. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

driven by fear.

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Paper players who bought at the high, and never sold, are down 70%. Those who bought phiz, the right kind of phiz are not down 70%. Most of my 1 oz comprise of kooks (older years), I'm either making money or breaking even with those. So I sleep well at night. The same with my 1 oz horses...and I'd say most of my horses. I'm down a bit on the recent kilo pruchases (horses)...but generally speaking...I'm about even or a up a little, even with spot down 70% since the highs. So, the lesson here? Diversify your holdings. Don't just buy eagles or maples that follow the price of spot closely. Buy the limited mintage bullion coins like the PM lunar horses and kooks. I'm happy I hold the real thing, and not some piece of paper. YIKES

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Agreed Barsenault....some diversification can mean the difference between losing 70% value if you bought blobs when the pumptards were telling us that $49 silver is a bargain (while having the need to sell those blobs you purchased at a time when the metals market tumbled big) or you could be actually making perhaps a little profit when the metals market tumbles if you bought certain semi-numis at that time.

I've been watching some semi numis on eBay and based on many of the sold prices, you wouldn't know that silver and gold spot are in the dark recess of the cellar...unless you followed the market. Collectors who are not necessarily goldbugs are willing to pay high premiums for coins they want to add to their collection. I put up for sale a recent Perth Mint semi-numi I purchased on eBay not too long ago and turned around and listed it on ebay like 2 weeks later to test the waters and I made about 25% profit just like that. There's something valuable to be said about Barsenault's strategy of buying certain semi-numis.

Different strokes for different folks though and some here are sure the end-of-days/global currency collapse/SHTF is always just around the corner and there's no convincing these folks that anything but the most commonly available, low premium blobs of silver are worth buying. Hey, cool, whatever floats one's boat. Oh, btw, how much a year is it costing you to store those thousands of ounces of unremarkable blobs that have lost as much as 70% of their value anyway?