The Lost Package thread-What is yr take?

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by dragafem, Jul 16, 2012.

1. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What is yr opinion when a package got lost? Who is responsible in different circumstances?

My story is: sent the package to the given address which is associated with a westpac locked bag address I did not know about.auspost only delivered the package to the locked bag as per their contract with westpac.from there another courier picked up the package and that was the last the package was seen.As I paid Auspost as somehow they did their job there is not much I can do besides numerous phone calls . The member wants a partial refund which is fine this time:)

As no one forces anyone to buy anything do we have to always put on the thread "post at yr own risk" just to take the burden off our shoulder? In my case, how can you be sure the package was lost?

Add yr story and knowledge to this post so we can all learn and maybe lay down some "rules" to make this forum even better:)

Thank you

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Provided I post to the address the buyer has given me (and I have hard proof of this) I never issue any kind of refund.

3. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree with this^^^.
    Was it registered? If you can prove it made it to the specified address, then have you not fulfilled your obligations?

4. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

Seems to me you delivered to where you were spose to . Not your responsibility there after.

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I was contacted by the buyer with regards to this particular transaction.

My understanding is that it was sent to a work address, but what sounds like a high traffic mailing address, and it's subsequently been lost internal to the company in question before the recipient received it.

Sounds like there was also a balls-up with Australia Post delivering it to the wrong branch of a large company, and assuming that the company would sort out the eventual recipient, but that's a guess on my part.

Important thing to learn from this is that if you are a buyer and are giving out a work address for shipping bullion to, be sure it's an address where this sort of thing can't happen - lots of offices have just anyone near reception sign for packages, or as learnt in this case, the post office might deliver to the WRONG office if it's a big enough company.

Been recommended many a time on here - if you're buying PMs through the mail, get a PO Box.

6. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

IMO once a package has been seen as per the buyers request and a receipt/tracking number has been provided then the sellers obligation has been fulfilled.

If buyers do not want to take the risk of Australia post losing an article they can limit themselves to F2F transactions only, it's as simple as that.

7. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes it was registered.The thing is it is impossible to get the package delivered to the given address by auspost as they wont deliver it there because that address is a work address (westpac call centre) and westpac uses a locked bag for this address. Austpost job stops here as my responsibility,I guess. From the locked bag Toll Priority pickes up all the packages and tries to deliver it as part of a contract between them ,auspost and westpac...I think I have nothing to do with that.

Other package got lost the same way for the same member so it would be nice if the other seller would post here his,her experience...

Like GP said,get a Po box or get the package delivered to a secure place where only you will be able to receive it...

Thank you guys for all the input and help:)

8. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

But if it gets sent Registered Post, then it gets held at the Post Office, and then you sign it for. This is as secure as it gets, isn't it?

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Plenty of members can relate experiences of finding registered or platinum items left unsigned at their house, or signed for by the postie and left unattended.

10. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

I agree with that - one's home and the postie's willingness to be lazy can introduce risk. GP isn't the idea of it going to a PO Box that the person collecting then has to sign when they exchange the "notice to collect"?

The issue I have is that I'm NEVER asked for any ID (only the notice left in the PO Box), so it is not at all perfect.

(The staff don't all know me, though most would by face).

In business, as far as I am aware, the onus is on the sender to effect delivery - ie if it doesn't arrive (and there is no tracking saying it did) then you simply have to re-send, then claim on your insurance.

Even if there is a signature, if the customer proves it is not theirs ... then what? Your only comeback is insurance/claiming via the postal service (and I don't fancy your chances if you've been sending metals!).

I have no idea how this applies to private sale contracts though.

We've discussed this here before - hence the idea of "postage at buyer's risk" disclaimer appearing on many sales threads I guess.

11. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Once I sent a box of 100 kooks to the ATO head office work address as requested by the forum member.
    It is a huge building, but the ATO finds everyone, while banks even loose their own money. =)