The Great Gold vs Bitcoin Debate

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by hawkeye, Apr 13, 2013.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

My thread, so I felt entitled to derail it :), but tbh I can't be bothered taking it any further anyway. Doesn't seem any point.

Anyway...

At the end of the day it's all about freedom of choice to me. History has shown that Gold is a form of money. I think it's established now that digital money is money also, as there are people out there willing to accept it as such.

I think the computer virus thing is a bit scare-mongery. You could say that about EFTPOS too or any number of online things that are in wide use.

The market should decide. That's what I think. As long as we are are talking about currencies that are not owned by the state then I am fine with whatever the market wants to use. And I will make my free choice also. If that means one currency or multiple that's fine with me. I think there would be multiple ones to fill different needs that people in the market have. If only the market was allowed to do so...

When people start talking about how they want to re-establish the govt gold standard is when my hackles rise. I just wish the government didn't interfere with legitimate market players trying to establish market currencies. I think that shows the true nature of government. They just don't want to lose control over their monopoly on money regardless of the effects on society.

2. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The time of new tech advances being taken up by the wider population is becoming shorter and shorter. Those who are hesitant/resistant to change are the older demographic and will ultimately be the ones left behind.

A great example of this is the NBN. I just heard Peter Reith say his 5mb wireless internet connection was plenty useful and didn't have the need for anything more. Having the NBN would enable him to do a lot useful things at home which he currently would not be able to do (properly) such as:

Video conferencing
    A news video stream (international news, RT, AJE etc)
    Remote desktop (accessing his work computers from home)

Sorry bordsilver but the technology is hear now and is being commonly used, it arrived a few years ago with smart phones becoming an effective way of using the internet where as not to long ago it was a impractical novelty.

I am relatively young and grew up with pcs, I remember seeing videos of android phones at tech shows in 2008/2009 and my jaw dropped literally seeing the things they could do(seriously thought we were going to be taken over by skynet).

One year later I had an epiphany while I was in the passenger seat of my friends car we were driving along I was playing with my new smart phone (connected to the internet)which I had just bought, I had made and online purchase recently and with my phone I was able to read an email saying I had received a tracking number for what I had purchased. I checked with fedex on their website and it was telling me my package is clearing customs in Sydney while at the same time my phone is telling us where to go in the back ground with gps.

Within the space of about five years smart phones have gone from being a novelty to my mum using one..

3. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep. I think we're all in total agreement on this.
    Just wanted to warn people about the dangers of unprotected digital sex :D

But seriously, it clearly does also apply to the existing Eftpos etc which is why one should stack/hold cash - c.f. Bundaberg floods, Cyprus etc. The material form in parallel with the electronic. Not one or the other, but both working harmoniously for the common good and the betterment of mankind (except that the fundamental is currently rotten and diseased and infested with parasites via the legal tender and bailment laws).