The Gold vs Silver conundrum

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by intelligencer, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Agree with the pelican. I don't even look at buying 1/20th, I'm sure the pelican and I are not alone. This means that there is a reduced market for this size. Best off buying 1/10, 1/4 if your budget is tight.

2. mmm....shiney!

I'd suggest you buy 1/10 pandas, these seem to attract a higher premium the older they get - whereas sovs, nuggets, $200 gold coins etc remain pretty much close to spot when resold. I doubt if the 2011 pandas will attract the same premium in years to come as older ones, but you should grab any 2010's you see and if possible any earlier ones if they're priced reasonably. I would say anything around $200 - $230 for 2007/2010 is a realistic and achievable price. 2011 pandas really should be about the same price as a nugg and probably will remain so into the future as the Chinese have ruined the mystique of the Panda with a huge increase in mintage numbers. But, that remains to be seen of course.

There are a number of sellers here that deal with pandas, PM them and I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help you catch "panda plague".

3. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All of this is just my opinion

Big money, central banks want gold not silver. You can bet against the hyper-wealthy, the powerful and central banks with deep (taxpayer) pockets if you like and for sure the sneaks will say one thing whilst doing another but at the end of the day it's GOLD that they want in their vaults. Not computer digits. Not mass produced paper with pictures on them. And not silver.

Next point. Fractional gold has premiums on them but you should get that premium back if you sell privately. Don't get to hung up on the premiums. Certainly try to pay the least you can and avoid paying extra for "collectable" (stick with government issued bullion IMHO) but don't cry to much.

Next point - Panda's ???? I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. The Panda brand is tainted in my eyes thanks to the counterfeits. Of course other people love them and more power to 'em I say. It's just that for me, I'll stick with trusted brands :p

4. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

i used silver as a stepping stone to get to my current gold position at half price or better.

5. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

...its a fair point but the opposite happened last week - percentage gains in Ag were doubled to Au - a dollar drop this morning brings back this gain...not saying Gold isn't safe or an exceptional good investment, just personally still see even a bigger wound up spring in Ag...

Glad the Au bugs are enjoying there latest victory...

6. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

Why pick a horse? Ride them both! :)

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

% wise Silver and Gold are both up by ~5-6%. I don't know why Gold bugs are so happy, it's not like they out performed Silver dramatically.

Luckily I hold both Au and Ag :)

8. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

I started on gold a long time after I started buying silver. The only interesting thing about the current gold price for me is that it's reached my breakeven price, so even if I sold all my fractional coins etc at spot I'd come out slightly ahead.

9. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nobody has mentioned Perth Mint 5 or 10gram bars?

10. mmm....shiney!

Cause you don't know where to look.

11. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Above is a good point on the saleability of gold should it go towards the 10k an ounce prediction. (just read another one - predicated on the assumption that fiat is close to worthless. I'd expect at that stage it would become a straight swap for assets like jet skis, caravans and houses, but how that would be accounted I have no idea.

My thought is that the world circumstance means issues such as currency response is a total unknown. We can't look at minor events like Zimbabwe since the powers will never allow things to go that way worldwide. More likely some terrorist martial law bank freeze before the switch is flicked on electronic money via phone or gadget.

It's at that stage, just before gold is called back into the thieves vaults that I hope I can quickly divest into electronic units at market price, since I'll probably get carbon credits or something similarly corrupt as compensation for my PMs.

12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My favourites.

13. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

Yeah diablo, they sell 5 and 10 gram perthmint bars at silvergoldbull.com decent prices. Like people said stay away from 1/20 the premium is way too high if you want smaller gold pieces look at Mexican 2 pesos I've seen them for only spot + 5$. They not .999 but they're a cool smaller coin with a low premium and are almost exactly 1/20 of an oz.

14. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

All good suggestions!!

The problem with finding "other" gold coins on ebay etc is that I don't really know much about them (like Mexican coins, pandas etc.) and it does take a lot of time searching for the right deal and time is money (in a way, I don't have a job but I need quite a bit of time to maintain my websites).

I'll probably stick with 1/4 oz Maples at the local bullion exchange, they seem to have the best prices and they're very professional.

I'll take a look at the Perth min bars, I know you had your eye on them, did you end up getting one/some?

15. Sargeant Argent

Haven't got one yet waiting on a cheque before I make my order. Also had my eye on an old .18 oz. Russian 5 Ruple from the coin shop, maybe not as liquid as the bar but a nice sized (for that weight) beautiful coin.

Decisions decisions...

Agreed the VCBE is the best place to buy bullion in B.C. Excellent prices and good selections, and very professional. I just wish that VCBE carried the same selection as their affiliate Border Gold who I wished sold 1/4 AGE's.

I like the sounds of the australian 200 dollar coin. Almost a 1/3 of an oz. And backed by $200 in a strong currency? If I lived in Aus I'd be buying almost exclusively those. If gold was ever to crash its a nice insurance to have $600 backing .9 of an oz. When you have on 50 dollars face value on Maples AGE's etc.

That said anyone know where would be the best place for me to find one of those $200 Aus coins?

16. jparrie

jparrie Member

Don't let Yennus hear you say that!

17. Sargeant Argent

No kidding, I'm still picking sand out of my eyes!

18. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

If one is in it for the long run,..

Every silver lover/stacker/believer/investor should also have some such feelings for each one of the other Precious Metals and should try to have exposure to them as well - ie. if one has a stack of at least $5000 worth ( todays liquid value ) than nothing wrong with having at least a 1/10 oz palladium coin in that stack.
    Consequently, the gold bulls should also do the same.

However, it does make sense to be 'overweight' in certain metals. AND BE DYNAMIC with the metals and perform
    maybe 3 month - 12 month trades into other metals
    i.e.
    have a stack consist of

80% silver
    15 % gold
    3% platinum
    2 % palladium

Looking retrospectively, above stack if one had from DEC 2010 to mid APR 2011 than maximum gains would
    have been 'eaked out' of the market -
    and than a correction happened where those who swapped from SILVER to GOLD were able to MAINTAIN silver's
    gains and purchasing power from the previous few months.

Now it seems that we are slowly getting ( i mean a large part of the market ) into the mindset of
    swapping silver for gold.

Lastly, in my opinion and barring any 'surprises' in the markets - the gold holders sleep most safely than the rest
    ( those who are silver,platinum or palladium overweight )

19. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm heavy on the silver and it excites me, gold would comfort me. I prefer to feel the excitement of the underdog silver....don't get me wrong gold excites me to, I love gold. But. SSSSSSSSSIIIILLLLLVVVVVEERRRRRRR!!!!

NB. I don't think anybody on this thread is going to change anyone's mind because we are already stacked one way or another and will express positive sentiment about the way we have invested :p and personally I accept that gold could very well be the better investment of the two.

20. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Its not a matter of silver or gold.

Its a matter of silver and gold.

Hold gold,trade silver.