The china thread

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Ozboy, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

I've thought about a thread on this for awhile, so I thought I'd try it out and see how it goes. I've chosen to focus on china for a number of reasons. It's exceptional recent growth, it's increasing significance on the world stage, it's impact on a myriad of levels throughout the world { ie, let's pause for a moment and consider it's phenomenal manufacturing capabilities}. It's growing importance as a trading partner to a number of nations { Australia being a prime example} and that it owns so much of Americas debt. There are of course other aspects of china and it's effect on the world. It's continued belligerent attitude to Taiwan, the ongoing hacking of American computer networks { before my little one starts, yes, I know we all do it , but China's capabilities appear to growing at the rate of knots}.
    The more specific reason to look at China is that any country of that size expanding the way it is, has to have implications for wealth transfer and an impact on prescious metals.
    To kick things off, here's a interesting story.
    Cheers!
    http://www.wealthwire.com/news/global/4395?r=1

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

A little off topic .I was watching cnn last night & the pollution in china is absurd the hazardous measure is 300 ppm im not sure of the measurement i missed it ppm or particles per cubic metre .In shanghai it was over 1000. Highly toxic they were saying its better today you can actually see the sun !!! .Then they went on to say & its far worse in some places it didnt even make the top 10 ......wow

3. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

Reno, I saw on Aljazeera this morning that Beijing is currently copping the pollution you speak of as well. People have been told to stay indoors/home, and actually are. So as a consequence it would likely have an effect on the bottomline.... which is probably the only reason anything will be done about it!

4. renovator

I was looking at the footage & thinking not even in the top 10 ? !!!!! how bad is it in other places ........That bad they didnt want to show it ..It was unbelievable

5. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where does it say Shanghai's air quality was recently over 1000? Thanks.

All I could find was:
    01-14-2013 08:00; PM2.5; 142.0; 195; Unhealthy (at 24-hour exposure at this level)

http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/airmonitor.html

6. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't think air pollution in any other city can be as bad as New Delhi
    What I thought was fog inside the airport, turned out to be smog when I walked out.
    Santiago in Chile was another memorable smog capital. :(
    Shanghai was quite pleasant in comparison.

7. renovator

It was the local chinese air monitoring people that said it on cnn they actually had a list of cities on screen & none of them were under 300.It was on last night & the day before was worse according to the reporter(who was chinese)

8. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

It gets quite bad in Thailand, Bangkok in particular... as you descend in an aircraft you actually see the bubble of 'brown' encompassing the place :/

Up in the north our smog season is about to start. Dry weather plus massive agricultural burn offs cause smoke to just hang in the air... last year it was in the 300ppm range.... I am already stocking up on filters/masks :(

9. valuecreator

valuecreator Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

here's the plan. In your lifetime...

[​IMG]

10. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Don't know if it's really off topic. I read an article a while back that looked at the viability of establishing a series of health spas, aimed at the chinese. The premise being that as chinas pollution levels increase there will be more cashed up Chinese with more and more health concerns they would be looking for both good health care and a clean enviroment. Oz fitted much of the essential criteria . Medical tourism is a growing industry and while a lot of places are cheaper Oz has a fairly good reputation medically .

11. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fertile land and air is going cheap in Tassie.

Korea is building a village Near Hobart.

Right next door to a VERY low socio economic housing suburb.

Great idea for a reality TV show!!!

When I do watch the idiot box & it show China/ India etc, the colour of the sky is NOT blue.

12. Rad Dood

Rad Dood Member

Ok let's put 10-15 years on this massive growing population who are breathing in this lead and toxin based air pollution,(which will continue to get worse,)add to this contaminated poor quality drinking water. There's no denying it the greed for growth is poisoning the people.its probably way too late now but once upon a time nearly the whole populace used to get around on bikes.
    Suggested reading "When a billion Chinese jump"

13. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I heard a story yesterday about a local shopping centre
    That is entirely owned by one person
    He sells the business to a Chinese family for 2 years
    They get they're residency visa & sell the business back to him
    And sold again to the next family :mad:

14. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member