The best way to store Pandas in OMP

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Silver Bullion Boy, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Silver Bullion Boy

Silver Bullion Boy New Member

Hi, I have a 30 sheet of BU pandas in omp, what is the best way to store them for the long term?

2. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

I've actually been thinking about long term coin storage a lot recently. The biggest issue is air penetration. The second biggest issue is breakdown of the packaging, primarily through UV radiation.

Which is all very similar to long term storage of food.

This leads me to think for long term storage, vacuum packing with an O2 absorber, inside a mylar bag, inside a safe, in a climate controlled room of some sort would be best. The downside is you wouldn't be able to look at the coins very often because you'd have to do all the resealing :).

3. low

low New Member

Ouch! That is tedious.

4. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Eh, my grandfather was a HUGE coin collector. He kept most of his stuff in the original packaging in a standard fire/water proof safe in the basement. When I had to start liquidating some of it after his passing everything was still gorgeous besides the coins that were loose, and most of the collection was made up of items 20 years or older.

Tamo's suggestion would probably work wonders, but I think you'll be able to get by with keeping things in OMP in a safe with a moisture absorber. If you have coins that aren't in a capsule, get Airtite capsules.