THAT coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Goldmember, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

Gday Stackers,i posted a thread the the day about a coin i was trying to get info on,curiosity was killing me and i went back to the guy and he showed me again.

The coin in question was a 70th anniversary of the nickel penny 1919 - 1989 (1989 coin) in silver 99.9 ,which had a reverse of King George (i think) on the other side.The guy was offering it for $80 odd dollars, and he said to me on return that he looked in the Coin Catalog and couldnt find it - he said he is keeping it as it is rare and worth closer to $500.

Any of you guys heard of it,or know its worth......or have a pic? Ive searched the net and could only find this link as evidence of it...

http://www.noble.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=47664

2. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

I have searched Krause World Coins 1901-2000 38 Edition (digital edition) for key words and come up with nothing.

3. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

So it must be rare as.The Noble Numis ad said it was 1 of a 100.

Even the numis experts on SS forum aint heard of it...or i stand corrected....

4. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

Another listing at Noble Numismatics has text stating:

"a 1989 cupro nickel medal for 70th anniversary of the square penny" Source: http://www.noble.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=108623

I does mention the word medal though so if it is indeed the same as being discussed above, you have your answer.

Images of original coin are below.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: Google

There is a silver commemorative coin issued by Australia in 2008 in celebration of a square penny but with reasonable mintages and worth about $100.
    [​IMG]
    Source: Google

5. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

Pretty close Graeme but its a circular coin,one side has circular writing on edge "70th anniversary of Nickel Coinage 1919 -1989" and the reverse is like the silver round above with the King George in a square....ive never seen one,is bout the size of a 20c piece and its 99.9 silver