Thanks from TNQ

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Guest, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Gidday All

Been lurking here on and off for a few week's , using the site as a research reference . I am a complete greenskin when it comes to this but have my mind set on "stacking" as it is so eloquently put here.

I am in My early forty's , never had a loan , never had a credit card , as a result I dont own much , but what I do own I own . Ive rented my whole life and the only real hard assets I have are household effects and vehicles for which I paid cash . I do have an interest in a few hundred acres that will come my way once the olds pass on so am not really interested in owning a 600 sq block in town anywhere myself , but recently I suffered a workplace injury and as a result have been on a reduced income and as a result of the injury will not be able to return to my normal line of work.

I have never really been interested in all the trappings of modern life or keeping up with the Jones' so to speak , having the latest plasma or driving the latest model car etc but I have focused on giving my kids a better education and upbringing than I had, not that mine was bad per-se but I wanted better for them as we all do and i would like to be able to secure "something" for them in the future .

To cut the story short I now find myself in the predicament of having to find a new line of work at an age where it is unlikely that I will be able to. I have five kids, no debt, and a potential payout on the way.

I have never really been interested in the stock market nor investing at all, but having been sitting on my arse for the last eight months and contemplating life I have had to re-evaluate my existence and my potential for providing for my children into the future. As a result I have seen the light so to to speak regarding the potential of the above, particularly the potential of silver as an investment and also that of REE (rare earths) shares. I have a few Australian companys in mind such as LYC , ARU and ALK

As I stated above I am completely new to all this , I have tho recently started to purchase Pamp Oz's of silver at the rate of 2 per week and have recently opened a trading account on e trade so as to buy shares in rare earth companys .

A few questions to you all ... am i on the right track ? I'm not out to become a millionaire , I just want to make the most of what I have for the benifit of my kids , and am looking for a mid term return on my money , five to ten years as they become adults .

Should I be looking at other metals that so far as I can tell are also currently undervalued such as platinum and palladium as well ?

Am I looking in the wrong spot for such time scales for small amounts of investment dollars ?

As I said I am expecting a payout of compensation , not a huge one, but what I do get I want to invest most of for my kids, should I follow my current train of thought or just chuck it in the bank on a term deposit for them? I hate banks but at the same time am open to well reasoned opinions .

I am not expecting a full on investment advisor type advice here, I would just like honest opinions from members any and all, three months ago Fiat to me was a car and nothing else. I have learn't a lot recently , the potential of silver for a start amongst others.

Finally thankyou to the creator/s of this site, the information and discussion contained here has been very educational and a real eye opener for one such as myself that has had no real knowledge of such subject matter up till now.

2. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fck the bank interest.

Welcome on board.

you sound VERY level headed.

PM's are in a cycle that SHOULD grow well.

Looking after family is number one.

Is the land you have flood prone?

Certain ASX stocks should grow.

For you to be on this forum is GREAT.

Good first post.

Enjoy the journey.

Fiat is DEAD or DYING.

others will post.

Welcome on board.

STACK EM HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the Forum southerncross.

To get you up and running on silver and for you to get acquainted with some other functionalities of
    the forum ( PM - personal messaging ).

If you send me a PM with your postal address, i will send you the silver coin below free of charge.
    ( havent gifted in a while :) )

Coin photos below - if you click on the image it will be enlarged.
    Coin is from 1897 Serbia ( South-eastern Europe ) and is 0.835 Silver and contains
    0.1342 oz of pure silver.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/531_p2324_21-01-11.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/531_p2323_21-01-11.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks boneyard

No the land is fine so far as flooding go's , Way above sea level , fertile , and with good reliable water and great water allocation to boot, all paid for in cash years back and no liability at all apart from a single easement for the water main from the river, (200% increase in rates just for that in the last three yrs) but just something that has to be paid. The water allocation far outwieghs the cost of the easement for now in added value.

Thanks for the comments boneyard, am I right in thinking that Silver is an OK investment over a five yr or more period in your opinion?

My thinking is that compared to $ in a bank that might return 8-10 % annually if I am lucky, investing even small amounts of $ each week in a PM such as Silver will far exceed such a fiat based investment scheme over the same time period?

The only reason I have a bank account is that you now need one to receive your paypacket, and even that privilege cost's you money, I can remember as a Kid taking small change to school each week to place in an account that actually grew as you deposited. I now receive regular mail telling me how much less my compulsory super is worth due to fee's and losses incurred by bad management, the worst part about that for me is they do not even provide a free jar of vaseline .

I dont have the smarts as yet on getting out of the super trap, to be honest I have never really understood it at all except as a retirement plan type thing but have known that it is a rort all along, I guess until quite recently I have been one of the sheeple in most part and know that I have only myself to blame for that .

I was on around a take home pay of $1300 a week on average , That is no more and does not look like being a reality again in the near future, I am not complaining tho as my current circumstances have opened my eyes to a whole new reality and potential.

I used to wonder at the world of paper money and the fact that so many people would place their lively hoods in the hands of other people , putting hard earned dollars into the hands of others who's job was to trade it for pieces of paper, and in turn make a profit.

I still wonder now about all those people that built the country we now live in , worked their whole lives , paid their mortgages, raised a family, and are now on their way to a bankrupt retirement due to the sheeple factor. Based upon banking promises .

I just hope to not end up like the majority .

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thucydides79

Thankyou so much for your welcome and the offer of your very kind gift, I really do appreciate both your welcome and the offer. If I may tho Thucydides79 , and it is entirely up to you , would you be able to redirect the value of your offer to me towards those suffering the floods in either QLD or VIC for me :) . I really do appreciate your thoughts and generosity but feel that there are many others that deserve your generosity far more than me.

Thankyou again M8.

Jeff

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Very Noble of you Jeff,

However my allocated charitable donations for the flood victims has reached its ceiling.
    But the value of the 1 Dinar coin will go towards some other 'charitable' organisation.

Welcome to the Forum once again...

:)

7. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

Welcome SouthernCross. I think you're on the right track. You REE investment sounds good and I hope you also have PM mining shares too.

As with Platinum and Palladium, they are still a good buy but they had huge uphill move in recent year, I think their just about run out of steam and their upward trajectory onward will not be as steep as their last year's. In the coming year or two, Silver will steal the show.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the Welcome guys/gals and again your offer Thusidydes , I think I am well and truly hooked on Silver and find that it is becoming a strangely comfortable addiction..... After a bit of reading and snooping around I have decided to split the difference between Coins and Bars , I do love the look of those pamp bars tho, but the advice here on the Coins has swayed me.

I just wish i had this new bug back when those Tuvalu ? Redbacks were issued, sitting on a few of those right now would be (expletive) GREAT.

I love your Sig chimpanchu , and how true it is, I have a Brother inlaw who has been saving a house deposit for the last 12 years (well it's his Japanese wife who has been saving), they just spent nearly half of it on a second hand car $20,000 and were moaning about the low interest they are getting from the bank. Have a look at this I said one arvo at a BBQ and proceeded to show him and her everything I could over a couple of hours about Silver and the potential along with the (to me ) negligible downside............Money is all still in the bank.....still moaning.

On the other hand my oldest Daughter and her BF were up on holidays and he sat and watched as well , he cornered me later on and asked a heap of questions, Go do your own research I said after giving him MHO, this was three weeks back, I spoke to them this arvo and they are looking for the cheapest place to buy 10kg from .

Might not be Gold but maybe the next best thing.

9. Silver is Money

Silver is Money Member Silver Stacker

Welcome Southercross. BTW - Does TNQ in the subject line stand for Tropical North Queensland? Just curious.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah M8 Cairns :) thanks for the welcome.