Telling people about investing in precious metals.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ovi81, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Ovi81

Ovi81 New Member

Im not sure if anyone else out there has this problem when talking/telling friends or people i know about investing in silver/gold. I found that almost everyone i have spoken to about it laugh and ask why would i buy coins, or they listen and say "yeah its a great idea" but only to later hear that they think im crazy for not using my money to buy a house or God knows what else, even though i have told them about my personal gain since ive been involved.

When a close friend told me about it i didn't hesitate i went all in :D and haven't looked back so i guess i want friends of mine to at least consider it or reasearch before getting them selves in to $350,000 + mortgages as first home buyers.

I guess what im asking , how do i get thru to them?

2. 2ds

2ds New Member

Tell them that in the last 10 years gold has been the best performing asset they could have invested in ;p

3. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What? And get everyone rushing into the market?

Keep your damned trap shut until you have enough silver for yourself, or at the very least don't ruin things for the rest of us. :)

4. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

tell them that it went up x percent last year and far exceeded other investment classes.
    For every 1000 ounces a dollar rise means they are $1000 better off if they sell. Currently very attractive when we expect silver to exceed $50/oz.

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Otherwise don't bother and just keep yourself happy and secure.

6. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Its very difficult. Some people are naturally as thick as 2 planks, and others are influenced too much by the media.

7. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

I have converted 3 people so far.
    2 i work with - younger than me aroudn 25yrs old, both of them are members here, and one of them got his dad to
    join in as well, he had unallocated gold ounces somewhere so i told him to sell it and buy real gold and keep
    it at his place and thats what he did.
    3rd is my bro in law :)

But its tough, the Risk Analyst ( about 25yrs old ) at the place where i work was laughing at me when i mentioned
    silver to him ( back than it was $20/oz ) - he was like " But what can you do with silver ?!! " - i kept telling him,
    nothing and you dont need to do anything with it.

Have sent him the 6 months graph when silver was around $32/oz - i think he is due for another email real soon.

on another note, the general populations non-belief in gold and especially silver is where these metals will get their
    explosive value from. Back in the day when we had bimetallic standards and when everyone knew gold and silver
    were the only money around, these precious metals were trading at fair market values ( as everyone used them ),
    now when 1 out of 100 is buying them and the rest have no idea about it and are against it and are waiting for
    the "bubble" to pop, when the emperor's clothes ( all of them ! ) come off, it will be too late for them to get the metals
    they will have to pay thru their noses when Weimar/Zimbabwe happens on a global scale everywhere in the world within
    48 hours.

8. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

+1

9. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How about if I told you it was too late for them, would that ease your burden and help you give up on converting others?

Because it's pretty much too late for them...even if you managed to convince them they'd be dissapointed because they won't be able to get it even at current prices! :)

10. Ernster

Ernster New Member

I wouldnt try and force them to invest in metals. I'd mention once and then let them decide to go further. Most people won't take it seriously or will believe its too late for them to get in. Maybe 1 in 20 people you tell may give it a go.

How bad would you feel if Silver crashed and never came back?

How bad would you feel if Silver had a temporary crash like in 2008 and your friend who bought Silver because of you sold in disgust. They would hate you for it and never forget about it.

It's too risky.

11. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

yeah have to agree with you ernster . I mention it & tell them how well PMs have performed but then tell them it could tank its all a risk like any investment

12. Ovi81

Ovi81 New Member

I haven't forced anyone just told them and showed charts, im just saying I get a common response for them. But you do make a very good point which I never really considered.

13. C_Heath

C_Heath New Member

+1000

14. Ovi81

Ovi81 New Member

Everyone is a slight exaggeration , I told people that are close to me and family. I've have all I can afford for now accept the odd 20oz here and there.

15. 2003dve

2003dve New Member

I've mentioned it in passing, not trying to sell it, to friends and family and not one of them are even slightly interested, so I dont bother anymore.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink.....

More for us to buy then whoop whoop!!

16. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

i mention stacking around the office and im given some sheepish looks, theirs one bloke i been talking to bout silver since the dump down to 13 usd in feb 2009, every time i remind him that its basically trippled hes like wow but still not convinced. most of my friends are couples that have combined incomes between 150k-200k and most are leveraged to the shit with fancy inner city apartments etc, ive mentioned stscking to these people as a form of security but they just dont get it. i give up trying to convert friends. i did convert my sister though.

17. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Recently a friend of mine found a lot of old silver U.S. coins when cleaning out her parents' house with her brother after they had passed away. She wasn't really sure what to do with them...until I told her the value of silver, and how collectible some of the items they found actually are. Her and her brother have since split the findings and are happy with their new found "stash". In most cases though, people I know show interest and then don't think of PMs ever again. I have managed to get my mother, girlfriend and her brother-in-law to start diversifying into PMs, though. My dad inherited a lot from his father who was a collector, and every time he asks me to sell it for him I tell him, "No; you don't want to sell it," and that is that.

18. Goldrush

Goldrush Member

I will always remember when I was with a friend of mine and I was changing my USD straight into Gold. He thought I was crazy, he said there is no way he could do that, as in his mind it was too risky. :eek: I had already told my friend that Gold is real money and fiat money is just a promise to pay and worth less by the day due to inflation. Yet this same friend is happy to have multiple properties and a ton of debt where if things turn pear shaped he will be wiped out. Just goes to show you how powerful the property mindset is in Oz.

I mention pm's to people in passing to see what sort of reaction I get, most have no idea. If I get one who is interested I will elaborate further.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

People love proof.

They won't think you're mad when you show them the 10 year charts :

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If that doesn't get their interest, or they're property minded - show them the chart of house prices vs gold instead :

[​IMG]

20. AgOx

AgOx Member

Shhhhh...don't tell anyone.

When I first started I wanted others to join. But like Big A.D the more you're into the game the more you just don't care if others are on board or not. In fact it's better if they're not. Now when people ask, I play dumb and say 'I really don't know what I'm doing. I just like to collect shiney things. It's pretty foolish really.... you should go buy some property'.

Of course this line is getting harder since many feel the property ponzi scheme is up and cock there heads thinking I'm pulling the wool over their eyes. Some now go out and buy some based on my anti PM stance...of course those charts don't help. They come in sheepish and whisper in my ear they got some and go blabbing their mouths to get other in.

I'm very much hush hush now...but ironically that's bringing more into the fold.

Shhhh everyone.