Tasmanian Tiger *update*

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Matthew 26:14, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Just thought I'd share what I've found out today about the Tasmanian Tiger proof coin that the Perth Mint produced last year for Downies, mintage 5,000. At the time of release which I think was about October from memory, there were some vague references to a series coming out, with the Tasmanian Tiger being the first coin. The appearance of the Lenticular Tasmanian Tiger in the Downies catalogue the other day reminded me to find out about the proposed series. So I emailed Downies to find out what's happening and got the following reply today:-

Thanks for your enquiry, yes there will be further releases in the series however we are unsure of the what the next coin will be or the release date. We are guessing it's a yearly series similar to the Deadly & Dangerous and hopefully it will be released in the next few months. I would suggest checking our website regularly to ensure you don't miss out on the next release.

So there you go - expect to see the next coin later this year I suppose - what this will do to the Tasmanian Tiger price will be interesting - Redback No.2 ?!?!

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Glad I still have a few tucked away :)

3. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

Tassie tiger !! Awesome coin!! I store 1 piece in my house :-D

4. Aust-Tech

Aust-Tech New Member

It's the Extinct and Endangered Species Series, listed here: http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalogue/endangered-and-extinct.aspx

I believe that the second coin will be the Tasmanian Wedge-Tailed Eagle and will be released in the next few weeks.

It will be an annual issues like the AAT Series
    [img=Extinct & Endangered]http://www.aust-tech.com/resources/images/tas_tiger.jpg[/img]

From downies blog:
    Downies Says:
    September 8, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    Hi x,
    We are able to confirm that this coin is the first in the series, however, we cannot announce what will be next or when it will be released.

NFO:
    This coin is part of the Perth Mint's Extinct Animal Series. Complete with a box and certificate of authenticity, this Tasmanian Wedge- Tailed Eagle silver coin is a silver treasure. The extinct Tasmanian Wedge-Tailed Eagle graces the second coin in the highly-anticipated Extinct Series produced by the Perth Mint. Issued by Tuvalu, the Tasmanian Wedge-Tailed Eagle silver coin features a stunning design. The obverse of the coin depicts Queen Elizabeth, while the reverse showcases the Tasmanian Wedge-Tailed Eagle. In rich color, this silver coin illustrates the beauty of this incredible creature.
    Each Coin is housed in a high gloss wooden case with a birds eye wood inlay, accompanied by a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.

5. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

I'm staying out of this one this time.
    Normally I would buy a few and then flip them
    at a higher price. This time I'll sit back and watch
    how it pans out. Mainly because its the second in the
    series and because i think they are at higher price than
    last years.

So who is buying and who is staying out aswell this time round?