Sunken Silver Treasure

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Savige Silver, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Savige Silver

Savige Silver New Member

The british ship SS Mantola which was torpedoed by the Germans in 1917 off the Irish coast has been discovered by a salvage company called Odessey Marine Exploration. When it was sunk the Mantola was carrying 20 TONNES of silver WOW. The same Co has also found the British ship SS Gairsoppa which went down in 1941 carrying 219 TONNES of silver. The ships are only about 160 Kms apart which helps cut recovery costs and the Company has entered into an agreement with the British Govt wereby it is allowed to keep 80% of what it recovers. Is this amount of silver back in circulation enough to affect the price of silver.?

2. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Scuba gear on everyone?? Lets go FROGMEN!

3. silvertop

silvertop Member

Did they say if it was coins/ rounds or perhaps some kind of bullion bar? I wonder also the content of silver in each piece.

4. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

That silver would be just about past its use by date now. Pity. ;)

5. 2eyedcyclone

2eyedcyclone New Member

I saw some footage on YouTube,
    From what I saw just a crapload of silver bars!
    At a guess 100 oz bars!

6. Savige Silver

Savige Silver New Member

Yes, only plain old bars how boring, but over 200 tonne!!!! You have to wonder why the british were transporting that amount of silver, especially in wartime when there was always a chance of being sunk.

7. Lav

Lav New Member

maybe payment to the US or brining it back from where it was being mined from? (south america?)

8. 2x2

2x2 New Member

Second boat full of silver found in the past couple of weeks? Dodgy.

Can't figure out how this fits into the bigger picture, but it must. It's just too convenient.

Silver price is smashed. At the same time, here are a few reminders that silver has always been a prized item, a treasure in fact. So when the price gets cracking, minus investors who may otherwise have got on board but were put off by the plummeting price action, no-one (no bank) can say that people didn't know silver was valuable! I don't know, just a theory based on 2 minutes of pondering. I'm probably wrong. But I know it's dodgy. Even George Clooney knows everything is connected.

9. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I bet most people who watched on Tv or heard the news about the sunken treasure would have in their mind without even realising had the thought or the knowing within themselves that silver is treasure, is a precious metal, is money etc tec. We all know it deep down without anyone telling us. Its history, its fact!
    What i find funny is that if you asked them how much do you think you could buy a silver coin for today there answer would be way above todays current spot price. Probably say ah i dunno?? maybe $500 a coin?????
    Funny hey! A silver coin today is under $40!! A precious metal, treasure, real money for under $40 bucks!! thats a carton of beer for crying out loud which is gone before you know it!!
    Ha ha ha ha wake up people SILVER IS A PRECIOUS METAL!!! TREASURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Its true value will be coming to a city near you real soon!!!