STRATEGY TO BUY AND EXIT IN SILVER

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dr, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Dr

Dr New Member

We believe in the silver potential. An unique metal, it possesses the highest electrical conductivity of any element and the highest thermal conductivity of any metal. A metal with increasing demand all around the world (an estimated 0.4 oz per year and person in the first world), even with anti-microbial and medical properties. A metal that in few years will be more rare than gold (90 M oz of Au supply per year). So we will have a metal with an annual supply of 90 M oz per year, with a demand higher than 1 B oz annually. A metal that was valued at $1200 (inflation-adjusted) in Roman times, and is poised to get that price or higher in the future (20-30-40 years?).

On the other hand we have a financial crash coming sooner or later, sending fiat to toilet... No doubt about that. So, what are you waiting to invest in silver? THE BOTTOM. In the meantime just playing the COMEX gamble to make some fiat to swap for real silver at the bottom.

Once the bottom is identified, my strategy is as follows:

40% of investment in 1 oz rounds, with the lowest premium
    1/2 from gov. mints
    1/2 from well known private mints
    These coins would be swapped after financial correction for fiat at higher prices, food, or other services, for the daily living.

40% of investment in big silver bars, with the lowest premium
    1/3 in 100 oz bars
    1/3 in 5 kg bars (167 oz)
    1/3 in 15 kg bars (around 500 oz)
    These bars would be swapped after financial correction for land, properties, ...

20% of investment for other silver stuff I like
    1 kg coins, few semis, 10 oz coins, pretty silver...
    This stuff is just to play with it and swap after financial correction for other valuable goods, or just keep for decoration.

Financial collapse or not, at least 20% of all silver will be retained to pass to next generation.

What is your strategy?

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I think you're setting yourself up for major disappointment. It will never be rarer than gold and it will never be worth $1200.
    Industry will find something else to use if there is ever that risk.

My strategy has always been to buy semi numismatics. My exit target is $30 to $35.

3. Dr

Dr New Member

Palladium and Platinum are both rarer than gold, and with much higher prices than silver. Why did industry not find any substitute for them?

4. Aureus

The platinum metals are fairly priced, you can only replace them with each other and none of them are common.
    Silver is so cheap and abundant there's no point in replacing it, but it will be done when it's financially viable to do so. Well before it gets close to the price of Gold.

5. Dr

Dr New Member

Right now silver is 10 times more abundant than gold. With its depletion rate, in coming years will be as rare as gold, or even rarer. Same picture as platinum metals. So, OK, tell me which element will replace Silver. And don't make me laugh with graphene.

6. Aureus

Believe what you want, you're not educated in the metal enough to warrant my time.

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Who is the "we"??

I don't necessarily believe a lot of what you are asserting. Silver is definitely not an indispensable commodity. You can read all sorts of reports about how silver was replaced in solar panel connections with copper when the silver price went up, read about new technologies and materials like graphene (which may replace silver in some or many applications at some point), and so on and so forth. Silver is far from indispensable and it is certainly not money. It is a commodity that has differing value to different people just like copper, diamonds, and petroleum.

But hey, if you want to go on believing whatever it is you do, I can't stop you from doing that.

8. Dr

Dr New Member

So, if you don't believe in silver, why do you stalk silver? I'm curious...

9. Dr

Dr New Member

The story about copper in solar panels is on the streets during the last 4 decades... But anyway, copper is not going to substitute silver in solar energy. That's just another option in study that may save costs in the metal, but increase other costs long-term in the solar panel. There are outside also stories about beer and cigarette to produce bioenergy... Stories for everybody.

Anyway, industrial demand for silver is not the catalyst of silver price. The catalyst of silver price is sentiment. Ask Indians or Chinese which sentiment they feel for silver. The answer is LOVE. When JP Morgan and the remaining players at COMEX Gambling House turn the corner and go North in silver spot price, the Indians and Chinese people, and even guys like you, will rise silver price up to 3 digit figures. When you are buying, I will be selling.

10. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

it's fun to stack silver

11. Lord_Dudley

Lord_Dudley Active Member Silver Stacker

Is this the new BAMA guy? :D

12. Aureus

I believe there is money to be made, it's undervalued.
    Where did I say I don't believe in Silver?

I just don't believe in the rubbish permabull reasons you have brought up so far.

13. Silver has good potential for capital growth, especially on today's prices, but let's not get carried away.
    If you are expecting to get rich quick you are guaranteed great disappointment as history clearly shows.
    Those with this sort of expectation only end up lining the pockets of longer term investors with staying power and patience.
    With realistic expectations in terms of growth of an investment over a particular time period, likely an extended time period, I believe it is well worth entering into a modest venture.
    If you are primarily preparing for a doomsday scenario then PM's should be part of a larger plan such as food, water, a safe location etc.
    Silver alone is not going to save you from such a scenario, nor is it going to make you wealthy unless combined with a much more diverse plan.
    This same topic has been beaten to death here BTW and I am simply repeating what has been said over and over again by several stackers.

14. Dr

Dr New Member

It is worth to clarify I'm not a permabull, and I don't think silver is vehicle to get rich quickly. Actually I'm bearish short-term, with a final target / bottom at $11-14 region. In that region I will load the boat. And yes, I expect at least 3 digit figures in the coming years. I will never sell my core silver for fiat again. I will swap for valuables goods, land and property, maybe in 30 years. What you don't understand?

15. Dr

Dr New Member

Don't worry about that. I have my own land with tomatoes and vegetables, spring water... also I have chickens to eat natural and organic meat and eggs...

16. Well, considering this your heart and mind are in the right place and sure, silver would be a great option to accumulate.
    I wish you well my friend and hope all works out for you.
    I live in Queensland on small acreage, perhaps one day we may be neighbors. :)

17. Dr

Dr New Member

That sounds good mate. I love the natural beauty and beaches of Queensland.

18. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

So you wait for a financial collapse to buy silver at the BOTTOM of it.
    With what you gonna buy that silver at the BOTTOM?

Case bank account deposit: financial collapse = byebye your bank account?

Case cash:
    - financial collapse = outlook currency bleak - hyperinflation, people refusing to give you their silver for your cash? Would you sell your silver in a financial collapse? If not, why expecting others to do it? It's rather more expectable to see silver prices increase instead.
    - cash transaction limits = dealers having to break laws?

And not even talking about logistics, after a financial collapse, alot bills don't get paid, companies ceasing their production / services, hell just shipping the silver to you or getting there may already fail.

See, a financial collapse has consequences, even immediate ones. Good luck waiting for that supposed BOTTOM to get rid of your fiat by finding X kilo silver. Maybe if you can freeze the rest of the world like in Charmed, haha.

19. Dr

Dr New Member

You are wrong. I'm not waiting for financial collapse to buy. I'm just waiting to hit $11-14 to buy. That's coming soon (this year or next one). Financial collapse is coming in 15-30 years, and I will swap silver after that.

20. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

What actually causes a temporary serious price drop (like in 2008) during the highdays of an itself manifesting crisis: the sale of derivatives that aren't backed. For ex, the biggest silver ETF Ishares Silver Trust, is backed, and shareholders know that, they might thus decide to not panic sell.

I think that the key factor for those specific price downspikes the futures market is. That's all commodity purchasing that isn't backed, basically a futures contract is just to chew out some dollars from the market, either to speculate on the price trend either to hedge against this speculation.

Ishares Silver Trust shareholders didn't dump during the 2008 collapse highdays, it was rather the opposite: they bought shares. Even central planning entities bought during those collapse highdays: the IMF bought in 2008 191 tonnes gold from the market (and sold them again during 2010).

Of course, there are some silver owners that may get lured into a panic sale or misleaded enough to think that the price may drop further.
    What is the silver price now? $20
    What is the silver futures position now: less than 10K. It's ago from the late nineties that it has been this low. They can't dump positions they don't have. They can't bring the price down without having brought it up first by taking positions the positions again. Well, they can, but they need others to sell in the process, as to undo their upwards price effect. Stackers refusing to sell. ETF shareholders refusing to sell. Who remains? I take into account that in the mid april price drop, coin/artbar stackers nor ETF's sold silver (otherwise dealers would have flooded with rebought silver from customers, which apparently wasn't the case). So those that sold the price down there, also don't possess that silver (1000 ouncers) anymore.

What is possible is that the Comex speculators drive the price again up first, as to lure stackers into a sell and buy back in attempt, to then hope that they are disappointed enough in silver to not buy back in anymore, or at least not at any bottom they saw previously.
    Look at what happened post 2008 collapse: the Comex speculators quickly built up a big position and held that big position for about 2 years, inflicting all those that bought silver due to concerns about QE, over the period a higher price and thus less silver.
    And that's why I decided to buy all I can at any new bottom price (with one exception that I learnt from). I allowed the Comex speculators to frontrun me once (early 2011) and it's the reason why my average is $30. I won't allow them to do it again. For the rest, I'm just depending on all others that try the same as me, no matter delivered or ETF. But that was a choice from the beginning. And I didn't know about the Comex back then.