Strange Bar ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by cnsjock, Oct 2, 2011.

1. cruicksta1

cruicksta1 New Member

well here i am im the guy selling the strange bar on ebay and i think some of you need to look at the pics i put up this is definetly not a coke bar .....also i took it to cash converters to get it tested because i wanted to make sure my acid tests were accurate i have also filed a corner a bit past the plating and that tests as silver the plating tests positive with a 22ct acid and the bottle opener part of the bar has stripped out and in the pics you can see thisand to the person saying it is a dodgy auction i have described it as accuratley as i can any more questions???

2. cruicksta1

cruicksta1 New Member

also for those who cant read numbers the coke bar shown is stamped 996 where mine is stamped 999

3. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

I saw that 996 :p

If it's been this hard to convince stackers so far, it seems it won't be very liquid for whoever buys it @_@

4. Dandan

Dandan New Member

Welcome!

Seems your bar is getting a lot of attention. Where did you get it?

Forgive me if I am reading it wrong. But are you aware that your username reads phonetically as "crookster"?

5. cruicksta1

cruicksta1 New Member

ok for the record my last name is cruickshank and i found the bar in a box of stuff while cleaning out my late uncle's shed

anymore questions ???

6. cruicksta1

cruicksta1 New Member

for the record my last name is cruickshank and i found the bar in a box of stuff while cleaning out my late uncles shed

7. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't worry cruicksta1, no-one here is seriously attacking you personally. There is real fraud happening on ebay, e.g. 'German silver bars'; you sound legit to me. But on the other hand, given the origin of the bar, and the discussion here, are you happy that the winning bidder will get what he THINKS he's bidding on?

8. cruicksta1

cruicksta1 New Member

thanks finicky i have now got 6 pics of this bar on the listing now and from what i can see yes it is similar to the coke bar but i can see alot of differences aswell especially the mouldings on the back side of the bar and of course the obvious no coke symbol as i have said i have tested it inside and out and have supplied as much information as possible so i really do hope whoever wins the auction is happy with their purchase

9. cruicksta1

cruicksta1 New Member

the box i found it in also contained his old war medals so it wasnt just a junk box

10. Dandan

Dandan New Member

I was mucking around. I'm not tryin to offend. Just sounded funny considering the circumstances :D:D:D. Also the tone of this thread is not a mean spirited one and no one is attacking you.

Good luck with the sale and at the bare minimum you found this site and no doubt you will start stacking :)

Cheers

Dan

11. cruicksta1

cruicksta1 New Member

thanks dandan im sure i will be back on here a bit now ive found it

12. ToDaMoon

ToDaMoon Active Member Silver Stacker

13. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Hey cruicksta1,

I'm wondering if a quick and dirty specific gravity test might help identify the metal.

Assuming you've got a set of digital scales that go up to 2kg or so, fill a jug of water deep enough to cover the bar, and stick it on the scales. Weigh the jug of water. SLOWLY lower the bar in with your fingers (trying to keep your fingers out of the water as much as possible) until the bar is completely submerged, but NOT touching the bottom or sides. See what the scales now read, and post the difference on here. We can use that figure with the original 168 grams to work out the specific gravity.

Normally you would use string etc to lower the item into the water, but this is big enough that just your fingers should do the trick.

cheers

14. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Lol you just never know whos lurking. :lol:

15. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Just one; Why do you describe the item as a bar & bullion instead of what it is? A bottle opener.

"very rare gold silver bar serial numered and stamped bullion tested 168 g"

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Kinda like Archimedes! [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Dandan

Dandan New Member

^^^^ would make a good avatar :)

18. nasa

nasa New Member

Now we have one with coke on.
    one with nothing on.
    and one with bremer landesbank on.
    It begins to look like someone thumps these out and sells as an advertising gimmick to whoever buys.
    Kinda like pens and things, you buy to give to your customers and we put your company logo on it for you.
    and..Them darn marks........ Every time I have seen them marks on any piece of metal
    it was always some really junk brittle metal like aluminum mixed with something else.
    You know the dinky toy stuff.

You want to do a real test... Whack it with a hammer.
    if it shatters ( which it will ) ...throw it away.

19. cruicksta1

cruicksta1 New Member

Just wondering as I am new to this the plating of gold is very thick on this item thickest I've ever seen anyway and would it be worthmelting the gold off it and also if it was aluminum why would it be so heavy

20. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

I doubt it's aluminium, as that would be too soft for the application. It's possibly a nickel based alloy of some description. The plating, if it responds to both gold and silver testing, may be an electroplated 'electrum', and thus would not be worth as much as a pure gold plating. I think there is a crowd in Germany that do such a process - from memory it's about 80% silver... But don't quote me on that! :)