Storage for coins that come in boxes or carded?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Ag-ness, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

Do you store your silver and their boxes or cards separately?
    nce again, it probably has been asked before, but I'd struggle to find enough secure storage for boxed things, as they accumulate.
    Most of them would probably be safer from wear in their boxes, I'm just wondering what others do. I'd require a much smaller secure storage option if there was just pm in there. :/

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well the boxes and cards are part of the premium, once you seperate them you will make them less collectable and may drop the premium.

Your best bet is to sell them and use the money to buy a more convenient type of silver.

For instance I bought a 1987 $200 coin, it is in a 1988 box with a 1988 Certificate of Authenticity. The owner had obviously stored the coins in the safe and the boxes elswhere but when it came time put them back together he must have swapped them around. It doesn't matter if I sell it for its melt value but if I tried to get a numismatic premium for the coins I would be in trouble.

I have a few carded roos, they are still in their plastic sleeves so they are all bundled up and put plastic zip lock sandwich bags in a shoe box as at the moment the $30 of silver is selling for $50 if they are in the little cardboard folders. If I took them out of the folder I may not get as much for them. That is around $1000 sitting in a cardboard box because my safe is too small.

Basically if you are offered two coins for the same price, one in a capsule and the other in a capsule attached to a colourful information leaflet and in a little plastic case, which one would you go for?

3. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just received 5 boxed coins with certificates. I've taken the capsuled coins out of their boxes, put them in individual plastic coin bags, then into zip lock sandwich bags, then all into one snap lock mini lunch box, then to their secure location. The bulky cardboard boxes are just consigned to a cupboard. Then recombine when time to sell.

4. Jislizard

I remember that I once took all my Star Wars figures and put them in a custom designed storage bag (I had way more time before I was married and for some reason I haven't bought any more star wars figures since then).

I then put all their guns and cloaks and handbags or whatever and put them in a 'secure place'. I sure wish I could remember where that was and I also hope I can remember what went with which one.

In theory separating them is the best thing to do, I would take a few digital photos as well though, of the packaging and the coins together before being separated.

5. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

Thanks guys. I had thought of the issue of losing them or forgetting which box goes with what. Also, if someone broke in and found dozens of empty numismatic presentation boxes in a cupboard, they'd probably muscle the location of the pm out of me. (if it was in the house, that is.)

6. Golden

Golden Member

Separating coins from boxes? Why? What will you guys do next, separate coin from capsule?

I put all such crap in empty maple leaf plastic boxes. No separating. If original box for coin is not good enough for the coin, than I don't know what is.

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I just stack my carded koalas in a pile somewhere in the corner of the safety deposit box, they don't stack perfectly but good enough to look like a pile of postcards.

I don't have enough of them to be a storage issue though ... thank god.

8. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

it can be a bit of a problem, when the stack is too high, the skin on the presentation box stick to the inside of the outer box, the skin melted, sometimes it becomes sticky...

and the presentation box is ruined and sad to see it :(

it depends on the material the box is made of. (referring to RAM products 92.5% silver with a box 5 coins set)

so end up with the coins, cert and outer box, those skin type box moved to a separate location. :|

9. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I am faced with the same quandary. I leave my coins in the cards or boxes. If I knew for sure they'd grade at least a 69 I'd send them all to NGC.
    One day I want to be able to afford a safe that not even three men could carry out, but until then I'll just have a disheveled safety deposit box LOL.

10. Jislizard

11. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I wonder if a cd case with all those plastic sleeves would work. I'll be taking the one my son uses for computer games to the safety deposit box tomorrow and will let y'all know if my RAM Roo cards fit

12. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

You obviously completely misunderstood the question. If you read the post, you would have seen why. It was a question about fitting boxed things into secure storage.
    "You guys" huh? Hmmm...

13. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

hehe

14. ninteno

ninteno Member

I have stored all my carded roos in exact passing capsule ( inside diameter = 40,6mm) and rolled them together in 20pcs rolls.
    The cards with the plastic sleeves i store outside the vault to save space.
    Also the original screwed caplule is sometimes not closed enought and the coins get spots a or
    get a fine yellow shine. I have some with these yellow shine, no chance to remove it :-(

edit: the followimg caps are a high quality product. They close absolut perfekt an have the right inside
    diameter for the roos.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/100-LINDNER-...66467?pt=Münzen_Medaillen&hash=item19c30683c3

15. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

RAM Roo cards a just a teeny tad too long to fit...ughhhhh! Thought I had a winner, oh well, back to the ole drawing board. I'll stop at a local office supply store and see if they have plasti sheets smaller than paper size. If they do, I could slip a card in and keep the pages of cards in a nice binder.
    I'm on a mission now! :lol: