Stolen coin collection Mornington Area Victoria

Discussion in 'Wealth Creation & Management' started by JulieW, Dec 9, 2012.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm hoping that someone with their ear to the ground, perhaps a coin dealer, may be able to assist here.

I gave my grandson my childhood coin collection - old european coins dated 1940ish - 1960ish. All small value coins collected by various relatives and acquaintances on European trips and so on. Most distinctively they were poorly stored and looked very old. A few were hungarian coins apparently made of aluminium (such is my abiding memory). I doubt the haul would reach $50 in value, but my grandson valued them much more highly

Unfortunately some low-life scum broke into the house, stole his iPod, a collection of other household goods, and this coin collection. Since the thieves were inspired to smear faeces on the walls I'm assuming they are below average intelligence, and then some, they will attempt to bring this bag of coins to a coin seller or similar, somewhere in the South. Perhaps Frankston.

The police have been advised, but I doubt that will have a result. In the meantime, if anyone spies anything unusual or someone trying to sell a bag of old European coins, would you kindly give Mornington Police a call with a description etc. And even better, hang on to the bag of coins for later return, and and perhaps restore the faith of a nine year old in the virtues of honesty and integrity.

And yes, he has now learned the value of 'hiding your stash, very well.

Thanks all.

2. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A call to Graham at Golden Coins may help.

Golden Coins
    22 - 24 Wells St (Heart Arcade), Frankston VIC 3199, Australia
    Phone number(03) 9783 6288

Good luck.

3. Kansas21

Kansas21 Member Silver Stacker

That's just completely sick - and if these low life's get caught they'll probably get a bag of lollies thrown at them - hope you get the coins back.

4. gcsun

gcsun New Member Silver Stacker

Who the hell smears faeces? That is sick, particularly in this situation.

5. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Really sorry to hear about that Julie !!!

... My little boy has a few coins that he absolutely treasures (even though they are of little collecting/intrinsic value) ... and I know how distraught he would be if they went missing, let alone were stolen by some juvenile oxygen thieving scumbags :mad:

6. JulieW

Let's just say he's getting some good compensation this Christmas, and my hope is that the hard lesson of hiding your valuables, even at home, sinks in. Every cloud has a silver lining!

7. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

Interesting, I live in the Mornington Peninsula area, I will keep my eye out

8. elninjo

elninjo New Member

Hi Julie,

this is not going to help much but my sister had a very nice coin and gem collection a few years back. Her daughter told some kids from school about them and the next week was broken into and the lot went.

Young people tend to talk about these things without even considering that something like that might happen. The smeared faeces sounds like something young people would do. Its important for hiddy holes, but its also important to tell no one IMHO.

9. JulieW

Thanks Elninjo.
    I couldn't agree more and the importance of keeping certain things to yourself is now underlined. He has not only hidden his valuables away, only his mother is allowed to know where his secret is hidden. A few weeks ago I asked him how his collection was and he said 'what collection?' with just a small twinkle in his eye. A smart lad indeed.

10. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well, maybe that was the price to pay to learn a very valuable lesson he can take on with him for the rest of his life.