Stock Market Rose 18% last financial year what did your silver do

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Court Jester, Jul 3, 2014.

1. lshallperish

lshallperish New Member

Dude.. cool it went up last year.. AMAZING YESSSSSS 2 year's ago went up BILLION % OH YESSS IM A BILLION AIR... 2018 it went up 1 TRILLION% BAY BAAYYY YEAAAAA ima whip my arse with money nowww wooooooo

You are not getting the point.. A company can grow only so much until someone else beats them.. a new invention, a new design, a new way of life, maybe phones wont exist in 30 year's maybe smart phones will be like those times when we spent 800 dollars just cause a phone had internet..

What I'm saying is stocks can only go so far but gold or silver has a 6000+ year history, you cant tell me the stock's you bought will even exist in 6000 year's top because we invent new things, new ways to live life better, happier.. and this means getting rid of old inventions.. you could invest 195000 dollars per share into warren buffets company but when he dies do you really think it will be worth that much? nope

Ask your self why governments are investing in gold and silver and not stocks? why don't they just buy every single stock on the market? Governments have thousands of people at there disposable yet here they are buying billions of dollars worth of gold and silver.. comon..

When people buy gold and silver they don't care about the stock market or what it might give them... they care about storing wealth and even increasing wealth.. we know that the fed's are manipulating the market... I dont think anyone in the past 100 year's actually knows what gold and silver might even be worth.. but it's been manipulated ever since. A financial crisis happens almost every decade or every 8 year's and every time it happens it is worse and worse.

The fact's are there in front of you... you can tell people are starting to resist the dollar and don't want anything to do with america, china and Russia are buying golds by the hundreds of tonnes, America has killed world leader's that wanted a gold backed up currency.. what happen to them? they're dead..

These things are not just jokes or bullshit.. this is happening and if you invest 100k into stock market and america falls.. you can kiss you're money goodbye.. Gold and silver are awesome.. every time a financial crisis happens the metals go up.

I am in my early 20s I should be going out and partying and go female hunting but I refuse to do that.. because it's scary even going into 2020.. but i will be here 2070... or even more for that matter, so I need to remind myself that in 50 year's time the world will see many problems facing it.. some problems could change the very life we live in.. the rich can be richer but the poor will be poorer and the governments wont care.. pensions wont exist etc etc.. gold is my way out of that.. not some electronic stock crap that can whip my money out whenever the fed's decide too. Buying gold is telling the fed's to go F themselves, it's telling the fed's that you dont trust them and there ways.

2. hilaire9

hilaire9 Member

Year-to-date percentage gains of my positions.
    Mostly American blue chip stocks across various sectors.
    Includes SLV and GLD and the top gainer: Pan American Silver.
    Do I feel I'm walking[ a tightrope? Sometimes.
    [​IMG]

3. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

you only "wipe out" if you sell if you had HELD then you would ok

4. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

And hopefully I should be in a position to unleash my smoking gun during the next crash. I made a little of the last one but I didn't have much dry powder at that point

5. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

Just out of interest for myself I have compared the cash rate to the CBA TD 1 year rate over the last few years (all the available data quickly obtainable from CBA). It is between 2 and 2.5% higher than the RBA cash rate over that time.

I have then created a spreadsheet to calculate interest compounded since 1994 (20 year timeframe) using a 1 year rollover and average interest rates from the RBA over the year (increased by a factor of 2 - 2.5%). I have deducted 30% for tax and then compounded the balance.

Starting with $50,000 in 1994 you would end up with $141,000 in the account after 20 years. These number were quickly put together but I think more accurate than an estimate using a single compounder over 20 years.

It is an interesting comparison. Don't forget when comparing share performance to other investments the dividends are generally franked meaning no more tax payable and CGT would generally be halved due to the general CGT discount (same with silver sold that was held for more than 1 year - if declared at all).

6. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Just out of curiosity, where are you seeing a current CBA 1 year term deposit rate of 4.5% to 5% ?
    I see 3.3% (https://www.commbank.com.au/personal/accounts/term-deposits/rates-fees.html)

Did you check the RBA spreadsheet that contains the actual term deposit rates each month going back years ?
    http://www.rba.gov.au/statistics/tables/xls/f04hist.xls

7. Court Jester

it does not though as pointed out earlier

you can currently get 4+% term deposits, there are o 4%+ term deposits listed on that spreadheet

the 2+% spread has been pretty common at least for the last 5-8 years( since I ahve been interested in money matters )

8. Elemental

I just googled 'CBA interest rates historic' and found a CBA page with their historic rates for different length TDs. As I said, it was a pretty quick comparison.

9. trew

you might try clicking on my link Jester - it's not the same page you posted

you can currently get 4.3% but only for a 5 year rate - not for 1 year
    is that the spread you are talking about ?

that spreadsheet does list the 3 year rate - currently 3.8%

10. trew

Sorry to be a PITA but could you post the link ? - I can only find a page with historical fixed home loan rates

11. trew

perhaps, but not common for the 20 years you are making assumptions about

here are the numbers for 3 year term deposits every 3 years since 1994 (taken from the RBA page):

Month Cash 3yrTD
    Jun-1994 4.75 6.95
    Jun-1997 5.50 5.30
    Jun-2000 6.00 6.15
    Jun-2003 4.75 4.80
    Jun-2006 5.75 4.60
    Jun-2009 3.00 5.30
    Jun-2012 3.54 4.90
    Jun-2014 2.50 3.80

12. Elemental

100% right Trew - the table was for HomeLoan rates not interest bearing accounts. Just goes to show the compounded return would be somewhat lower than the 141k - probably somewhere between 110 and 120.

I did say it was a quick comparison :)

13. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

you really have no idea just after the 2008 crash and the rebound in 2009...

even if you paid for your shares in FULL, the companies were under stress, and and issued some thing call Rights Issue, equivalent to a margin call for top up.
    you would be asked for money at the time when it was most uncertain and most likely to have given in at the time of that CRASH.

yes, the run up was HISTORIC that we have ever seen in stock markets history. just like to the moon in the shortest time.

but at that time silver did exactly the same thing, crashed to $8.50 and run up all the way to $49.

just look at their moves. sideways.

14. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Nice, a topic using numbers instead of blabla. :D

15. Court Jester

none of the ones i had shares in

16. toorak13

toorak13 Member

so silver got up 4 folds?

and interest in bank got up 5 folds? (assuming interest has being 8.5%...) which i haven't seen it for ages.

17. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

^^^What happens if I bought 10ozs of silver in 1994 for $50, sold 5 ozs for $50 when it rose to $10 oz.. I have paid zero $ for my 5 ozs. Can't get a better return than that.

So it all depends how smart you are..

If you pick the GSR WHEN IT DROPS TO 40.. I have already had one chance at this but waited too long and so now I may have a long wait ahead waiting to swap 40 ozs silver for 1 oz gold.

Regards Errol 43

18. Elemental

Assuming you start with 50,000 in 1994 and put that money into a 1 year TD every year in June. Also assume a tax of 30% and that you can get a rate 2% above the RBA cash rate. Further that you reinvest the interest earned.

Starting in 1994 and taking the RBA rate in June of each year + 2% you would end up with 137,791. Assuming RBA Rate + 1.5% and the amount is 128,456

Perth mint website shows silver in AUD at 7.60 in June 1994 and 22.15 in June 2014. Assuming you bought 50,000 worth of silver and sold out in June 2014 you would end up with 131,165 after allowing for CGT (at 30% marginal rate).

Pretty much the same I would say. I don't really know if there's any point to make here but I suppose it is a mildly interesting comparison.

19. Court Jester

yes but cash in bank is about the lowest investment u can make and one of the safest

silver is not safe and should have out performed cash in the bank which is my whole point all along and it simply has not even over a long term period

With all the perma bulls here saying it is a long term investment, and to hold t, well it is a poor long term investment when you wouold have been in a similar position if you just put your cash in the bank.

Property and shares are proper investments, silver is for speculators

20. trew

Yes! Absolutely! Finally have to agree with you!

Silver is for those speculating that the price might go to the moon,
    and for those speculating that their local currency may collapse,
    and for those speculating that the world financial system may fall in a heap