ssh.... HEADS UP! Lunar Dragons (2012) for $40 each... SWEET

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by 1for1, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Actually, the Perth Mint upped the mintage on the Kooks to 500k this year due to demand.

2. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

You are joking? Nobody told me... I gotta say I am disappointed .Are there no more absolutes? They are a law unto themselves...

3. somerset

somerset Member Silver Stacker

Wow - good deal...

The collector in me has pre-ordered so I can (hopefully) achieve the set and have a bit left over to trade/sell.

Have to agree with fishball though - been holding my cash for some of the tasty deals lately!

4. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I agree, $40 a pop is a good price but the risks are:

1. Spot silver drops, leaving you paying too much OR (more of a concern),

2. It's not nice to say but companies for a variety of reasons go bankrupt or out of business. What if BB were to go bankrupt sometime over the next 3 or so month? Your investment would be left high and dry and you would become a "creditor" maybe getting back a cent in the dollar if you are lucky.

5. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

I just can't bring myself to order and pay now and take delivery in 3 months. You can never be sure what's happening behind the scenes and if the company you have ordered from (and paid) goes out of business you have more than likely lost your money (ATO and secured creditors like the bank get paid first). My dad always said that you should never pay in advance and if it's a deposit never more than you would be prepared to lose - it's something that stuck with me I suppose.

The fact that I can walk around the corner and into the Perth Mint makes me think I should be able to get hold of these. I can wait out the front on release day and literally walk into the place and order some.

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

In fairness to BB they've been around for 3 years and apart from some communication issues have a good reputation. Still, your advice elemental is worth heeding and at least considering.

Or less when the arse drops out of the POS. :p

7. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Where from and when? I know they did this with the 2008 lunar mouse but I have never hear of them doing this for older kooks? Would buy em for sure :p links??

8. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Just be aware that often resellers sell below what the Perth Mint sells at due t bulk purchase discounts. Buying the odd coin or two from the Mint will most likely be a more expensive way than sellers such as those on Silver stackers

9. GenYTrader

GenYTrader Member

I am going to wait out until closer to the release date....In the meantime I would rather take immediately delivery of Koalas and then get the Lunar when the time comes (hopefully not all sold out in pre-orders!).

10. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Waiting until they're released officially, and with a design!

Unfortunately I think they're attracting artificial premiums at the moment. Time will tell to see if I am right with the prediction.

11. GenYTrader

GenYTrader Member

Artificial premiums? They are the same price as the 2010 Koalas???

12. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Just because a company has been around 3 years (like Bullion Bourse) doesnt mean they will be around in 3 months time. Just a word of caution thats all, I know nothing specific about Bullion Bourse but its just good general advice.

Ansett was around about 70 years... gone. One.Tel had the Murdoch and Packers own it.....gone. HIH insurance, with 5+ billion in debts....gone. Centro Properties worth billions.....into liquidation, the list can go on.

Just offering a word of warning if you part with your cash for their offer there's a risk, you judge if its small or large, that you might lose it all.

13. mmm....shiney!

Which is exactly what I said - "your advice elemental is worth heeding and at least considering". I'm also saying that while buyers should always exercise due caution, it is not up to members of a public forum to single out a company and cast doubt in the mind of others about that business's liquidity.

You tread a fine legal line matthew comparing the likes of one business to those you've listed and I would advise all members to be cautious in their appraisals of businesses on this forum.

14. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Yeah the Lunar Dragons frenzy has been a lil weird imo.

Everyone who has bought thinks ( with 95% certainty ) that all is gonna be ok, and that they will pay for the Lunars
    $40-$45 and when they get them they will flip them for at least $80 ( excluding any increases in SPOT ).

hehe

I havent bought one, nor am I planning to buy any.

Good Luck to you all.

15. slevin88

slevin88 Member

Thucy, may i ask why you arent purchasing some? Do you not believe they will demand a decent premium when actually released or months from release?

16. silverstalker

silverstalker Active Member Silver Stacker

This could be the smartest judgement call ever. We'll see in a years time :)

Judging by the premiums on the tigers are the moment, I think the dragons will do the same, assuming the design isn't too shabby!

17. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Well judging by what everyone else is doing, i do believe that they should have a decent premium upon release.

But than again, the Perth Mint knows that, so does the Bullion Bourse, so do other dealers who have been selling them. - and Yet they
    have been selling them for $40-$45 a pop.
    Its a lil strange - i dont know whats gonna happen when the time comes, but im not gonna tango with them.

Doesnt mean that the buyers wont make money of them.

anyways, Godwilling il hang around the forums and eBay and il see/read what happens with them.

also, i am not the biggest fan of Perth Mint/Maples/ASEs/Philharmonkers, etc prices and tend to buy silver that is priced around spot and not
    spot + $7 per coin

18. RetardedMonkey

Yes, people are buying them at $40/$45ish each expecting them to instantly jump to $60 each upon them being sold out at the mint.

19. RetardedMonkey

This is what my train of thought is leading me towards at the moment.

Going to start going for as many ounces as possible soon.

20. mmm....shiney!

+1. I'm not trying to be critical of the choices of product that members buy - but sometimes I think this forum generates it's own hysteria, ie, there have been a number of "mini bubbles" that I've witnessed in the past 6 months or so. First one that comes to mind.........Andean cats. :rolleyes:

I try not to participate in buying what's fashionable (I'm wearing a flanno at the moment and my glasses are broken), buying value is my first priority. Although with the talk of Orianas a couple of weeks ago, I'll admit, I pulled the trigger and ....... well, you know. :)