Some thoughts on grading Chinese Medals

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by numistacker, May 1, 2016.

1. numistacker

numistacker Member

You guys know a lot more than I do but I thought that some of you may like to see the YT video i put together on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NffJPqHGD7I

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NffJPqHGD7I[/youtube]

2. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

NOT grade low value brass, copper and bronze (high value is different case) if exceed 45mm which charge you oversize fee, double thickness fee plus high shipping cost.

The grading might even higher than the stuff you bought. However, someone just like to grade it. For me, I grade it as sample for selling.

I like yours video which I need to take time to get a video editor software and learn about it.

You will not get good grade for the 30th anniversary panda medal due to the manufacturing experience of the company is bad. This medal can be graded by NGC even it is minted by not a reputable private mints because the man at the back is Martin Weiss who the panda America founder.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Brilliant video, numistacker!

I definitely encourage you to do more videos on Chinese medals.....not only because I am a fan of them but because it's an area that has been thus far under represented in the collecting community. Please share any other videos on this subject here in this sub-forum.

Thank you.

As for grading vs raw....not so easily answered. I have had 60mm brass medals (such as 1984 and 1987 Great Wall) as well as larger silver medals (such as Xi-Shi Holding a Pearl) graded by NGC. I don't regret any grading. That said, most of my Chinese medals are still in OMP for a variety of reasons which includes that some are not minted by one of the 3 "official" mints. And yet, some of the medals not produced by the official mints are among my favorite medals and so leaving them in the OMP is just fine.

4. numistacker

numistacker Member

Thanks very much Missing Link. I am surprised that there is so little focus on good quality Chinese medals. They seem to me to have a good potential. I think there is a focus on spot in the stacking world and I am not sure that premiums are really understood hugely. Its all about average cost per OZ and lowest premium but from what I can see quality and beauty actually sell easier than dull and uninspired and I know that I would prefer to make videos about things I find beautiful and interesting than the merits of the latest Apmex silver round (no criticism of forum members who have Apmex rounds).

The Dragon and Phoenix Trimetal is innovative and exceptional and I am looking forward to making a complete set (4 medals) video in a couple of weeks when they arrive in the UK from China.

I have no real problem with leaving medals in the OMP and this is not a bad play as they can always be graded in future - however these objects are really nice to look at over and over and this is more difficult in the OMP and as I always keep the boxes and COA separate and protected the box and COA etc stays in much better condition if I grade the medals.

5. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

buddy century mints and another mints medal is able to grade by NGC. Just need to talk to them and pursue them to grade it.

The famous designers of shanghai mints who have retiree and semi retiree work part time for century mint so you feel the design is superior than the official mints LMAO