So where exactly do you guys sell your silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by lshallperish, Nov 8, 2014.

1. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well then you need a bigger stack ;)

2. itsme_guy

itsme_guy New Member

3. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

4. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

just means they don't need or want them at the moment. Easier than making a whole separate page matter up to display a message saying "we're sorted for those, cheers".

5. Boyscout

Boyscout Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

But at the end of the day if you turned up with that coin in hand wouldn't they just pay spot for it?

I know that they don't sell 100 Oz bars but I am sure that If I needed the cash and I turned up with a few bars that they would pay spot for them

It might actually be a good question for them to answer on the forum

6. fishtaco

But they are buying back all silver at the same price not with added premium for lunars so its still silver to them no matter what design coin or bar?

7. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I'm sure they would take it at melt but they assume nobody would sell and frankly I could see people's first thought being "you greedy bastard, look at those margins, I'm not shopping here", rather than "obviously they are well stocked for 1oz horses". Could put people off.

8. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

APMEX has been a great buyer of coins for me in the past. Plus, I didn't lose out on the 10% eBay fee. Worked out nicely most of the time...especially if one has a large stack to sell. And many times they do add the premium factor to the coin - depending on what it is. But eagles, phils, maples, don't expect anything above spot...and I wonder if serious selling hits them at the same time if they don't put the breaks on and say, no mas? After all there are a gazillion ealges out there. Now Lunars or Kooks is another matter altogether.

9. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Spot +$1 is what I see commonly for ASE buy back, current sell price spot +$3.50.
    Even now - locally or my preferred net dealers. Normally sell price is lower premium.

Kooks buy back at spot +$5, but sell at +$10.
    I paid less premium for my kooks, but still, looking at dealers, not private buyers, ASE seem to me to do better.

There's a lot more ASE for a reason, and that reason seems to me to be as valid on the resale market as the dealer BU market.
    After all, kooks are not limited issue. They will make as many as people want to buy.

I certainly like other coins/rounds (diversify!), even so, I do not see kooks as obviously superior to ASEs as far as resale.

10. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

The 1oz kooks are limited issue. I believe the other sizes are minted to demand.

Barsenault, it will be interesting to see if Apmex is truly running out of 10oz horses. They upped the premium and took off the quantity price breaks. Currently showing 17 in stock.

11. darkclark

darkclark New Member

gold stackers here in Melbourne seem to have 270 still in stock and have them on special at $129 which I thought wasn't bad especially as its such a nice coin was going to buy more but am hesitant cause I want to stock up on 2015 goats and kooks while can.

12. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Yes, only 500,000 1 oz kooks, thanks for the correction.
    1oz Koalas unlimited.
    I bought my kooks in March for $5 over spot - free shipping.
    Potential collector value better than ASE, but for dealers, at current prices, dealer buyback on 2015 kooks are a $2.89 loss, compared to $2.50 loss on ASE.
    I have seen ASEs at $3 premium, $2 over spot for buyback.
    I can see selling ASEs to a dealer, but kooks will do much better other routes.
    APMEX is selling 2014 kooks on ebay for $33.91 BIN, ASE for $25, others are getting just under $25 for kooks - ASE BIN for $24.50, although open bidding is more like $22. Adjusting for premium, kooks and ASE are trading even up, is how I see it.

Name recognition has value, but so does collector interest.
    Buying from a dealer, then selling to a dealer is buying retail, selling wholesale. Goes against conventional wisdom.

13. fishtaco

I now understand when you mentioned the margins. thanks