So what are these 3 green spots?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Gatito Bandito, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Old coin, unknown silver composition.

Though based on the age, it's safe to say that it's definitely not .999, heh.. Would probably guess .700 to .900

I suppose it could be toning, but I don't think so. No other spots like these elsewhere on the coin.

Numerical grade per TPG, so it's not a "problem coin." I'm guessing it's not any real true issue to be concerned about, then?

They are really tiny, anyway. Safe to assume they won't be getting larger, now that it's slabbed?

Hopefully the photo comes out okay here..

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'll guess verdigris. What's the coin?

3. Gatito Bandito

That's what I was afraid of. :(

And that's what I was thinking, too.

To answer your question, something I've been looking at purchasing. ;)

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pretty sure you can remove it, even if it is a numi and get it reslabbed after?

Are you getting a free bag of ambiguity with it too? :p

5. Gatito Bandito

Actually, upon further inspection, there are some other suspicious spots around the same size that appear to have a greenish tinge to them, as well. Perhaps not as bright as that one in particular, but a shade of green, nonetheless.

And I don't do green coins.

Pass.

Too bad, because otherwise it's one I'd love to have (problem-free, that is).

And sorry, but given the nature of this game, I have to protect the identity of this particular seller, as they ship worldwide -- and I'm selfish. :D

Your response is much appreciated, though.

Anyway, verdigris is nothing to be taken lightly, IMO. It was my suspicion all along, but perhaps was a bit optimistic in my OP, hoping to hear something different.

I'm wondering if there was a tiny issue started prior to slabbing, which is why they didn't catch it, and then just grew from there, post-slab.

But I don't mess around with verdigris.. It's like leprosy for coins. :(

6. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Silver coins sometimes get an emerald coloured tone to them. Given the location of the green and how it is localised in the devices I would suggest that this may not be verdigris. Can you get pics of the other spots?

7. Gatito Bandito

Not sure how good it would do, as photos like these don't translate well when saved & then uploaded here. Difficult enough when I'm zooming in on the seller's photo with my browser.

Understood that photos can be deceptive, especially when it comes to toning & such, though.

I sent the question to the seller. Recently he truthfully & expertly answered a really nit-picky question I had on another coin of his, and he's been at this a long time, so I'm hoping to get an accurate answer (as he is the one with the coin in hand, after all). Seems like he knows what he's doing.

And he does have a 14-day money-back guarantee (starting at receipt of the coin), worst-case scenario.

Finally, a bit of good news, which I didn't think to do earlier..

I compared the TPG's images to the seller's photos (as best I could, as the TPG's have that weird lighting thing going on). Bit difficult to be certain, but it appears those 3 green spots were there at the time of grading. Under a 5x loupe, I don't think they'd miss that.. which leads me to believe that they could be innocent spots, after all.

Anyway, the sale price is really pushing my max limit on something like this, which is why I'm making such a big stink.

Times like these where it probably be easier just to stick with current-year issues.. :lol:

Thanks for everybody's responses.

8. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have seen colours like that before on 1800 s Spanish Mexican silver coins
    It is actually quite nice in hand

9. Gatito Bandito

Seller confirmed: Verdigris. :(

Better suited for somebody willing to take a chance in fixing it up, or having it professionally done, and then perhaps re-slabbed.

I ain't that buyer, though.

Question still remains, however: Why did the TPG slap a numerical grade on it, then? Too minor? Missed it? Maybe they did have it restored/conserved, but didn't do a complete job & it came back?

Like I said, hard to tell with the weird TPG images, but looks like at least some sort of trace was there at the time.

Bummer, but would have been stretching my budget a little too much for it, anyway, heh.

Kudos to the honest seller, though.

10. thepurplepenny

thepurplepenny Active Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't be too hasty calling it verdigris. It could just be debris that has turned green. I see that a LOT more on silver coins than verdigris, which tends to afflict bronze/copper a lot more than silver or silver alloys.

11. Gatito Bandito

I've searched high & low, but unfortunately the coin's exact composition is nowhere to be found.

Though if the copper content is high enough, say 25-35%, or maybe even 40%, then I don't think the potential for verdigris in some instances would be all that surprising. Especially given the "right" environment for its formation at any time during its long life. And this is a pretty old coin. Talking multiple centuries.

I've searched a bunch of photos of this type & its brethren of various surrounding years & denominations, too. While most are fine, a few with obvious & much more extreme cases of verdigris have popped up.

I'm not willing to roll the dice on this particular one. Forunately, it's not like it's an ultra-rare one, where a buyer really can't afford to be picky. Others will come along. This one just happened to hit that sweet spot of a nice-enough grade at a nice-enough, relatively affordable price -- you know, save for that questionable green stuff. :p