So much choice!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by ScottyRS, Jul 2, 2014.

1. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

The more I look at choice, bullion and proof... the more I want to have! It's like an addition I guess.

I'm currently collecting various 1oz bullion and i'm also wanting to collect the whole bullion & proof set of Lunar II from all years. This is going to take many years to even get close but it's nice to see bargains and fill gaps.

I'm also interested in getting hold of the America is Beautiful P 5oz and now the 2013 & 2014 5oz Britannia Proof... There's something about 5 & 10oz coins that is good!

What are others collecting? I assume many have the same issues as me.

2. phoenixeagle

phoenixeagle Member

10 oz S2 Lunars :)

I look at them more like art instead of bullion.

3. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

I am pretty much fixated in buying new releases of my ongoing series, and I try not to get sucked into another series... Too costly to maintain too many series :p

One of my "proudest" collection so far... :) guess what am I going to add into my collection in August? :D
    By the way 5oz 2013 Brits sold out from the mint.

[​IMG]

4. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

Nice collection.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I'm with you on the sentiment Scotty....so much to choose from. I can tell you that what little income I bring in, compared to "normal" people and how they spend money, I spend way too much of mine on precious metals (mostly coins as opposed to blobs).

5 oz coin size rocks. My favorite is the America the Beautiful...terrific 5 oz series. I have a couple of 1 oz 2013 Britannia's and in my view they are one of the least appealing bullion coins I own (doesn't even look like a real silver coin should look like....I'm thinking ASE or CML for comparison). But on the other hand, the new 5 oz proof Britannia is one of the most appealing coins I have ever seen...very striking design and with such a low mintage....one could find it's way into my hands this year.

6. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Too much to buy, too little money :(

7. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

We ALL have that problem haha

8. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Your not alone, I started with regular generic bullion but can't stop myself from buying collectable stuff now. I have a real problem with feeling the need too complete sets that it kills me inside seeing how many coins I can no longer afford. From this point on I'm aiming to collect one from each year since it is too costly to try and make up for the years that have pasted. I almost even concidered selling all my bullion to get the nicer stuff but after the loss from selling, and the premium on the new stuff I couldn't justify it. My proofs, Lunars, Kooks, Koalas, and everything else look so much better then my 1oz bars though :(

To everyone else what is a good recent set to start? I know the crocs are new, its just too costly to try to complete a set that has been running for years already.

9. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

That's why you have to be careful when choosing what sets to start collecting. Narrow it down to something specific.

I am collecting 1oz, 10oz, 1kg legal tender coins only (excluding the 2oz gods of olympus)

And then within those sizes I am collecting the ongoing series of;

Perth Mint Kookaburras (all sizes mentioned about)
    Perth Mint lunar series 2 (all sizes mentioned about)
    Perth Mint koala (all sizes mentioned about)
    Perth Mint Kookaburra & lunar privys (1oz only)

chinese panda (1oz only)
    Somalian elephant (1oz only)

All (1oz only) High Relief's
    Perth mint stock horse series (1oz)

Apart from that I do not plan to collect any other silver coin series, because it would be too costly. I will just buy odd one off silver coins here and there and other pieces of silver that take my fancy, I will eventually collect some small bars when money allows. I have made the active decision of not collecting rounds as there are already far too many silver coins in the market for me.

If you commit to too many series then it is very easy to overstretch yourself, and then when that special one off arrives you will be disappointed as you wont be able to purchase it. So I would advise to keep your core series that you are collecting limited and to something specific.

10. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Thanks, I'm trying to descide what one to go far. I bought atleast one coin from just about every legal tender series and almost every country that offers them so I can try to descide what I like best. Most of those have been ongoing for too long to catch up. I'll probably do crocs since they are new but I'm not too big of a fan of them. I just hate having bits and pieces of sets.