So, if silver actually goes to the moon.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by wilkes, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

If you live in Australia just take it to the Perth Mint or ABC bullion....some big company will definitely take it off your hands.

2. Philski

Philski Member

Find the market price at "that time" in the future and the customer average spend of your chosen (global) customer base. and meet the market with what they want that makes me the most money. Perhaps its laser cut 10oz bars to make 10 x 1oz bars. Again, Perhaps with what ever animal is popular / extinct that year and etch or cnc them. Or, inventing something new and great with silver. I dont buy 15kg bars today, not because they wont fit in my safe. But they wont sell for more than spot price and very few people have a spare $15k on hand. And, I Honestly think the Price is manipulated so much and so deep, prices wont ever reach that level in our lifetime.

3. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Will anyone here be waiting for it to get that high? What if you are waiting for it and it only gets to $490? What if it maxes out at $400 and you are waiting for $500?

Personally, I will be selling all the way up. It's the only smart way to do it. There's virtually no way to identify an ultimate top.

Silver could go crazy and be all over in a month or less. It's not the smart thing to do to hold your entire stash until that point as you could easily miss it.

Many here remind me of the dreamers getting into property on the way up believing the property doubles every 7-10 years myth.

In any bull market bubble, most participants are the suckers. If you think about it logically it can't be any other way. A few make out like bandits and the rest lose. Make sure you have a plan and it's a good one.

4. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

If you think about it as well each of these applications takes very little silver. Aren't solar panels 1 ounce or less. Water purification I imagine would be a tiny amount. Same with electronics. Imagine how much just 1kg bar would create. Now have a look at your own stack and see just how far that would go and imagine the other stacks out there, some of them of truly mythical proportions.

Can't see industrial demand ever significantly driving the price up.

5. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

Kitco gives a breakdown of the various buyers of silver as a % of turnover

6. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

If silver goes to the moon!!!
    Now NASA is out of business, you will have to talk to China as it's still launching space craft.
    Shipping from the moon is going to be expensive.
    I just want it to go back to $40 then I can sell something.

7. wilkes

wilkes Member

There has been good discussion here, and whether you think the question was stupid or irrelevant I have taken from the responses what I needed.

8. Recon

Recon New Member

Two things:

First, remember how ridiculously rare silver actually is. Yeah the industrial uses for individual components is very small, but don't forget that the demand for those industrial components is absolutely huge vs the physical supply of silver. Quoting stats like that is like trying to scare people by illustrating how many tons of garbage are generated globally per day. Its irrelevant on an individual scale.

Second, this mythical "top" is entirely fictitious and demonstrates too high a faith in government currency. This is more trying to measure silver's dollar value as if the dollar itself is a fixed value. It isn't. When the dollar continues to decay, the price of everything is going to go way up. Saying you're waiting for $500 silver and oh my what if it goes to 490 then "peaks" and then drops down, that's not a realistic concern because the purchasing power of your silver isn't going to be greatly affected by its nominal dollar value. You don't go "oh my its $500 I better sell it for cash before it crashes". Fiat currency is a doomed invention. Eventually, the price of silver will be $Infinity, because the dollar's value will be zero.

I don't anticipate any "top" at all. What we should be measuring is silver's purchasing power vs other things like oil and food. Now there you may find a "top" or a point at which you'd want to trade out some of your silver for some other non-perishable asset. Being money though, I don't anticipate one would ever want to get rid of their silver and gold any more than a Keynesian would want to get rid of his cash! Its your money! Why on earth would you get rid of it unless you needed to buy something?

9. wilkes

wilkes Member

Silver is one of the most used commodities in the world today, it has a very large amount of industrial uses. Have a look at gold for a minute, with almost no industrial use moving from $400 to $1900 in a relatively short period of time.... Did dollars have no value during that period? Of course they did.

We are highly unlikely to end up in a mad max Armageddon situation soon (though the economy will probably take a crash) so silver will continue to rise relative the value of the dollar and beyond, with it's increasing demand as either an industrial metal or investment due to shortage. At least that is how I am seeing it.

10. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Some great points made.

I have just made a shift into gold to secure some stability. My exposure to silver still keeps me in the running for some fun climbing up, but my gold stash will insure against catastrophic losses in the event silver goes back to $5 for a couple of years. We can all bang on about supply/demand, solar panels and manipulation of the silver market... but just as we don't know where or when the top will hit, no one knows how suddenly the bum will fall out of silver and how low it will go. Insurance is a must for me right now.

So, if silver actually goes to the moon... I don't think I'll be swapping it for cash. Depending on the GSR at the time, I will probably swap for gold! That yellow stuff looks GREAT! If you haven't got a decent piece of gold to get between your fingers - do what I did and buy a poured ounce and play with it. The portability of gold over hundred of ounces of silver is kinda neat too... but that rant will be left here.

ppss

11. Philski

Philski Member

BHPBilton's Olympic Dam is not only now the world biggest copper mine and largest economic mineral deposit on this planet (Antarctica not included). it also contains "vast" amounts of silver. It is likely to affect the copper and silver price all by itself. In 6 years time when they start production. if you really what to know what the price will do mid/long term. there you go

12. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

So swap to gold in about 7 years..

13. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

Who knows where market sentiment will price silver. $100 is certainly not out of the question based purely off inflation/investment.
    Look at the dragons, the mania (albeit brief) posted sales of 1oz at 4-5x the spot price.

14. wilkes

wilkes Member

My plan is almost entirely exit silver within that timeframe and by that point I am assuming silver will be in extremely high demand. Perfect.

15. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

The short answer is yes. People who bought in the low teens or low 20's have done more then "preserve wealth"
    Yes PMs are purchased to preserve wealth, but they are also a commodity, not unlike oil, wheat, or hogs where they're purchased to create wealth.
    Some people just don't get THAT!

16. wilkes

wilkes Member

Yeah I found that odd. Anything bought in large quantities that appreciates in value is an investment opportunity.

17. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Anything bought in large quantities that appreciates in value is an investment opportunity

the value is the result of the accumulation

18. silvertop

silvertop Member

I wonder if scientists will by that time create some new material which can replace or almost replicate Ag. A mate at work was talking about some new Boeing plane made of a new material or something.

19. Franko

Franko Member Silver Stacker

They are also sitting on a boatload of gold too.

20. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member