So I bought platinum yesterday ...

Discussion in 'Platinum' started by Ouch, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

... and spot promptly drops below key support.

Anyway that's not the main point of my post. I bought from an online dealer (who shall remain nameless), putting the item into the shopping bag, adding my address details and selecting shipping options. The final quote including postage came up to $1767. I then was distracted from my computer and was away for some time. When I came back and clicked the "Place Order" button, a message came up showing order placed but the final total had jumped to $1792. I was watching platinum the whole of last night and it was just going down down down. How then did the price jump from my first quote to placing the order?

Just looking for some opinion here whether I should call up the dealer and chase this up or should I just write off the $25 as slippage? Yes its a small amount but its the principle! I might not buy again from this dealer if their prices have a habit of jumping on pressing the place order. Thanks all in advance.

2. somerset

somerset Member Silver Stacker

Was there insurance included in the amount?

3. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I can supply platinum under $1700 today.

4. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Never hurts to ask. You will sleep easier then.

5. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You should at least call to find out why it happened. If you want to argue about the difference and press for the original price then go ahead, but it it were me I'd just want to know WTF made the retail price go up while spot was going down. "Market loss" policy? Inclusion of insurance and postal charges?

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

I say CANCEL that purchase and buy of Projack.

7. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree, would rather deal with projacK. Better price & no monkey business.

8. silversardine

silversardine Member

Just guessing at the online dealer here, but the one I am thinking of has options to choose Paypal which adds 3% (I think) and also insuance when posting. You do need to click in your option and I think it may start off in the Paypal one. Might be worth checking your order conrirmation email to see if those options were ticked for you. I've had a suprise with their orders to and then realised I had those options ticked. Might not be the case for you though.

I know with some online ordering systems there seems to be a few minutes to place the order and then the price is subject to change. But, as you say the spot price went down in this case while your order went up.

9. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

agree deal with projack fast efficient and better prices

10. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Did the market close by the time you order, some places charge extra when you order during 'market closed' hours (Australian)

11. silversardine

silversardine Member

For those of us who are in the dark....who is projack....or rather who is he in his dealership guise.

People often say deal with person xyz, but not all of us know who they are and which dealer they are in ''real life'' names.

I know some have their SS sponsorhip spots, but the connection between that business and the username is not always clear. I know who about 80% of sponsors are as usernames but a couple are still a mystery to me, and I assume, others.

It is useful to be able to go to the website and see what is in stock rather than just PM a user and say have you got any of X, especially if you haven't dealt with that dealer before.

I presume it is okay to ask this question. :)

12. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

Thanks all for the responses. Have called and the guy I spoke to said he had to talk to his boss first. Now waiting for their reply.

Insurance and payment options were unchanged from first quote and order placement. That is I had specifically and consciously chosen the options I wanted and was not left at the default options. Only the price of the platinum piece jumped by $25 even though spot was going down. Nothing else was changed. Order was created and placed after hours Australian time but as said before spot was going down so I see no reason for the jump. Those who are familiar with the order process of this dealer will know that this is the final screen with the "place order" button to finalize the order. The price at this final screen was saying 1767. I pressed the place order button. An indication of some processing being done was displayed, the screen refreshed and a message saying order had been placed but now the total price I see is 1792.

@projack: what sort of platinum do you offer? bars/coins? thks

13. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I had coins, but they were sold this morning.

14. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

Projack is a member here who helped me out when I was starting out. He has a lot of stuff that cannot be sourced here easily (maybe due to him traveling so much). Just Pm him if he has anything your interested in that he wants to get rid off.

15. silversardine

silversardine Member

Thanks, I did know he was a member here and that he is trustworthy. I wasn't asking for his particulars - just what his business name was so I could go and see what he has. I thought maybe if he was a site sponsor he might be linked to one of the sites appearing above in the banners.

16. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

+1 for projack

17. Wout

Wout New Member

why buy platinum now when you can see we are quickly heading towards another gfc, from memory the spot price of platinum got hammered so why not wait until then?

I dont lnow much about the fundamentals for platinum so tell me if you think im wrong

18. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

I'm only buying in amounts that even if spot fell 50% I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I'm hoping to buy just 1 platypus coin each year for the purposes of collecting a complete set.

19. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

I'm only buying in amounts that even if spot fell 50% I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I'm hoping to buy just 1 platypus coin each year for the purposes of collecting a complete set.