SNIPED

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Savige Silver, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Savige Silver

Savige Silver New Member

DAMN.Last night 18 seconds to go on 1986 Australian nugget 4 coin gold proof set 1.85 oz I'm the winning bidder and then YOU HAVE BEEN OUTBID, PLACE ANOTHER BID. Entered another bid clicked bid again and before I could confirm bid times up. Who ever it was knew exactly what they were doing, waited until I never had time to respond then placed their bid, but the sun still came up this morning so life goes on.

2. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

hahah there is probably a good chance it was someone from on here :)

3. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

savige silver.......thats pretty tough!!.......
    but .....it is an art.........i have won soooo many auctions just like that.......it does take a steel nerve to place that bid calmly in the last 9 seconds....

but.....when you get sniped in the last second......that is a tough one to accept......i agree - been there many times too....good luck !!

and yes...life does go on......sometimes i am even glad when i dont win the auction

4. Savige Silver

Savige Silver New Member

Yes dabloodymess with the professionalism displayed I to wouldn't be surprised if it was someone from here and good luck to them if it was. Some we win some we lose thats life

5. hanrahan

hanrahan New Member

Aren't there special programs where you enter the exact end time and your max bid and go to bed?

Edit: Here's one: http://www.gixen.com/

I've always thought allowing sniping is ethically wrong. All other auctions, including Grey's Online extend the auction to allow more bids. It is what the sellers would want I'm sure.

6. Savige Silver

Savige Silver New Member

Hobo my wife said the same thing.

7. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't think sniping is ethically wrong as such, but eBay needs buyers to be successful which is why they set the terms of the auction to favour buyers from the the outset.

There are plenty of other styles of auction that make sniping impossible and the Grey's system is more like a traditional English auction than eBay's Vickery/proxy-style system.

8. hanrahan

hanrahan New Member

You may be right. I know I'd be a bit pissed if I was selling a house and the auctioneer simply said: "Time's up! If you wanted it you should have bid for it." LOL

9. Guest

Guest Guest

You just put in your max bid and then there's no 'sniping' to be had. It'll just go the next increment and only bid up to your max if someone attempts to bid against you.

10. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I was bidding on that but was out of the race early on :)

11. Mighty Atom

Mighty Atom New Member Silver Stacker

+1

Yep the best way to do it. Then when the sniper strikes, you automatically strike back immediately. It adds some excitement too.

12. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

Come on bet we all tried to get last second bid in at some time or another. Happens to all of us.

13. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I was after some Pennies that finished early in the morning my time, I set my bid which was fairly low. I was working on if someone put a bid to test I would get it but with any real effort I would loose. Well I lost nearly every auction that way and it was one person getting me all the time.

Then on others I have held off until the last point and nearly won them every time. So to me snipping is the most effective but it is also the most time consuming.

14. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

I hate it when you put in your maximum bid then someone beats you by a dollar in the last ten seconds.

15. Mighty Atom

Mighty Atom New Member Silver Stacker

HaHa yes I will never forget my surprise when I missed out on a really nice silver pocket watch. I had my bid in early, only 3 bidders and as the last 30 seconds counted down I was so sure I had it in the bag. In the last 5 seconds it jumped. I scrambled but missed it, a real bargain too. I felt shocked, disappointed, dismayed and disbelief at missing it, but thats life at an auction. Now I put my maximum bid in straight away. If it goes above I am out of it but thats ok, there will be others. Those quick little jumps duriing the last 10 seconds make it more interesting too.

16. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I usually bid with 5 seconds to go. Then either I win or lose. No second chances for them or me. Of course the same thing happened to me. I was bidding on 4 kook proofs and they were mine as the clocked ticked from one to zero. Someone outbid me with less than one second to go. :(

17. realisticmystic

realisticmystic New Member

If you're the top bid, have a higher bid in the box waiting and hit the bid button 3 seconds before the end. If nobody bids up then you won't be spending anymore money but if someone tries to snipe, you've just countersniped... As long as your bid is higher.

18. bungo

bungo Member

Snipers p*** me off, but what can you do?

The trick is to know your absolute maximum, enter that when you bid, and if you lose to a sniper then so be it - at least you aren't caught in a bidding war and end up paying more than you wanted. If it goes for more than you were willing to pay, then some other sucker has paid more than the correct price.

19. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

That is only what you see, if your bid was $10 and I put a bid in at the last moment for $15 I would still win at $11 so even though it looks like you have been beaten by a small amount it may not be the case.

20. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

I'd say that's your own fault for putting an end time on your house auction. I haven't heard of any houses being sold with an "auction end time". They go until the bids dry up.

When I'm bidding on Ebay, I'll start with a lowball bid. If that gets beaten I'll reevaluate how much I want the item and rebid my maximum. If I lose, someone thought it was worth more than me.