Snipe bids in Auctions

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Boyo, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

So ...I re-iterate :)

Would a fair auction model be a "no time limit " thing where the auction was terminated when the seller was offered their best price/or failed to reach a reserve? As long as the auction started at a reasonable price level . eg: spot.. No pm bids ...nothing private ...price discovery is the goal

If I get 2 votes for this idea...my auction will begin . What can possibly go wrong ? :)

2. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

Do whatever you want to do - people will either go with it or not - just make sure you are clear to potential buyers how a finish is to be decided.
    Whingers will whinge, positive people will be positive, and those that don't care won't give a f ....., thus the balance of the universe is maintained.
    It's called "free enterprise" .....

3. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

Is that a positive vote for my idea?

I will see your free enterprise and raise the balance of the universe with Entropy :)

Although ,I sense some Apathy and Ennui too...

4. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

Entropy is the running down of the universe, so may not be a good 'raise'.

I don't have a problem with the "anti-sniping" idea. I reckon the main thing is to make the official finish time mid-evening allowing for daylight-saving. Give most players a chance to participate - even the Sandgropers. And allow for the auction to run on a bit. Last one I participated in the delay for a new bid was 1 minute - suspense near killed me each increment, but that's the fun of the game :)

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I don't mind the time extension rule - if an item is up for auction, the seller is obviously seeking the best offer in the market. The forum does have anti-flood features such as minimum 15 seconds between posts (I think that's what it is) that certainly inhibits "fast and furious" last moment bidding - and it's not uncommon to see very high bids at say 21:00:02 - just a couple of seconds outside of the auction close - where network lag etc has hampered a successful bid.

Basically trying to snipe on SS ends up in tears for many because of the 15 second delay or network lag - I've seen bids as much as $200 higher than the successful bid posted just seconds after the official close of an auction. Buyer who wanted the item the most loses out, the seller loses out on the best price in the market. The forum can't cater to snipers wanting to beat the clock.

6. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

+11111 that's the difference between SS and ebay the time lag can kill a chance to get the best possible price. Leave snipping for ebay and keep it real on SS. :)

7. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+11111111111111111111111111111111111 :D

8. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

I've used auction sniper a number of times. Generally quite happy with the results.

9. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

I snipe on eBay. Main reason - death by nibblers.

From a bidder perspective, you see an item, you bid what you would pay, others do the same, you win or lose. However, there are some people who bid and lose, then decide it's worth maybe more than they bid, and lose again, and so on. They lose rationality and play the whole thing like a slot machine until they 'win' by paying more for the item.

Now as a seller an irrational nibbler is great. But as a bidder it's a complete PITA. Sniping will *only* win if there isn't a bigger bid in the pipeline, and in the end all it does is cut out the nibblers. it actually decouples the emotion from the bidding process.