SMSF Investment:Where Does the DIY super money go

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by REDBACK, Dec 23, 2012.

1. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.superguide.com.au/comparing- sset-types

Just under 480,000 SMSFs run by roughly 910,000-plus trustees control $440 billion in assets (as at June 2012). A more impressive statistic is that SMSF trustees control around a third of all superannuation money held by Australians. Ten years ago, SMSFs controlled only 10% of all superannuation money.
    Three most popular investment classes
    Year in year out the three most popular investment classes for SMSF trustees are: direct shares, cash and direct property.
    In 2004, these three asset categories represented two-thirds (66%) of all SMSF investments. As at June 2011, the three asset categories Australian shares, cash and direct property represented a massive 75% of all SMSF investments.

Agree this thread was interesting
    Put this back up so Hiho could get some worthwhile commentary.

2. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

The main reason SMSF's are where they are is; WIIFM (Whats in it for me) and that boils down to a tax rate of 15% ( Aurthur Laffer curve at its purest) plus it attracts individuals and families who have the vision and ability to manage it themselves. Typically they practice delayed gratification.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

3. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

If I may add to what NR mentioned, WIIFM. As soon as I realised that in a retail or industry fund I didn't enjoy the benefits of compounding or the tax benefits of franked credit imputations, or be able to explore gearing AND had no access to physically holding precious metals...well a SMSF was a no brainer.

4. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Thats been EXACTLY my thoughts for going self managed.

I've gone via eSuper - and having <20k in there (only been here in Aussie 3 years), I rationalised the fee's of eSuper as being a charge for being in control of my Super.

When you look at it, $700 is pretty damn cheap for TOTAL control of both your existing super, and future contributions.

5. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't forget to subtract the fees the professional fund managers would have charged you from the $700.

6. Wout

Wout New Member

And add the extra money the government charges for regulating SMSF's (cant remember the amount) oh how kind of them...