SMSF Auditing Hassles

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Abossy, Dec 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

Hey guys - wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation. Basically my SMSF fund status is currently non-compliant due to an overdue tax return. Apparently the ATO now marks the fund uncompliant if the return is overdue a little as a few weeks. I'm with ESuperfund and anyone who is with them knows the insane turnaround times - sometimes as long as 8 months.

Anyway, I need to get my bullion holdings valued as part of my return - unfortunately (or fortunately) it's all physical held in storage under the SMSF. Due to the compliance status, I'm having trouble finding any bullion dealers to perform a valuation.

Can anyone offer advice on how to get this done or who they could recommend to get this done? In addition can anyone offer advice on dealing with the ATO directly on this? I'm currently in Perth.

I'm so over dealing with this SMSF every year it seems like more and more of a BS hassle - higher fees, more draconian penalty threats from ATO, etc.

2. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I only provide a Stat Dec.
    They've asked for all sorts of stuff like an auditor's report, or a photo of your PMs with today's newspaper. It's very easy to point out how ridiculous all this is, and in the end they accept the Stat Dec.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  3. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

Any suggested alternatives?