Small business stories

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by bordsilver, Oct 25, 2014.

1. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From an interview with Leslie

Comment. Add your own story. :)

2. bordsilver

Hansard from the first part of Bob Day's maiden speech to the Senate.

3. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It has become too prohibitive for small businesses to employ people in Australia, not just the cost, but all the red-tape. Many of the big corporations are shifting jobs and profits overseas. We've lost nearly all our manufacturing capabilities. Manufacturing now accounts for less than 10% of GDP.

It makes me wonder where Australia is heading over the next decade.

4. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think you know the answer to that! :/

5. bordsilver

A case study by the CCIQ said the following:

6. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I know the answer to that, but every time I try to type the answer, it gets turned into turtles. We're totally turtling turtled. More turtled than the last male Galpagos tortoise on a world turtling tour to save the entire turtling tortoise race.

7. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I actually know Bob Day albeit through other people, my mother absolutely hates him but then she's an old hippy, she would.

When I was much younger a friend and I started a business together (we registered it and went on a small business course but basically had to keep it casual after we realised we had to be 18 to sign a lot of the required paper work). We found that for most things support and advice was avaliable with a little bit of looking though I admit my friends patents were small business owners so they often set us in the right direction.

I don't think that things are necisarily too complicated assuming you are informed on the retirements. There should be a state or federal information service that provides support on legal requirements for small or owner operator businesses. Want to hire someone? We have a complete information packet for that. Unsure about how to sort out super for yourself? Ring our hotline.

Everything could use streamlining but I think there are plenty of people who either give up on business or don't go that final step and start one because of the fear of getting things wrong and having no support.

8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's what happens when someone writes legislation for corporations the size of BHP and Wesfarmers and then blanket applies it to every business in the country down to a milk bar. Add to that that FWA is basically a sheltered workshop for ex trades union bosses and small business in Australia does not stand a chance.