Small business Forum/sub forum ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by southerncross, Feb 9, 2013.

1. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Any chance that this topic might become a sub forum or have a dedicated space ?

I know many members are owners/operators of small/semi large business' (just like you Ben) and that it is such enterprises that drive our economy and employ many millions throughout the country.

There are also many members here I am guessing that have Ideas they would like to develope, ask questions on, or follow in the footsteps of been there and done that members, and those who are or want to start out with their own enterprises.

There is obviously a wealth of brain trusts here on the site in many different aspects of small business along with a wealth of experience regarding the pitfalls, benefits, opportunity's, risks, rules and regulations, licensing, philosophy, ethics, etc etc.

Also there is the possibility of like minded individuals coming together and of an incubation of an idea meeting possible funding given the vast array of personality types gathered together here on SS.

We already have an Other investments, Wealth creation& management etc but no dedicated "this is what I do" as a business owner type thing or "this is what I want to do" for those floating ideas for a small business.

Ive seen and read everything discussed from Hydroponics here in the far north of Queensland to the discussion of collecting scrap metal as a dedicated income model but no real dedicated input from people who have walked the talk doing things that work for them such things as we do hear from people in the real Estate forums. Things that might come from coffee shop owners or solar panel installers, builders, IT people, or the wealth of knowledge a person can garner from obsessive reading over many hours and many varied and disparate topics if they have the time, instead of seeing it condensed and topical in the one spot.

Small business is an integral part of the Australian economy, and given the switched on active membership mentality of those who are members or sponsor's and who frequent the site on a regular level, small business people are strongly represented.

Somewhere where the smarts of A.D or Shiney! can be discussed on a solely business level, a fish and chip shop owner can discourage or advise, Reno can give a run down on what tools to buy or rent to pay or some IT nerd can float an Idea.

Small Business is the life blood of an economy and I think SS is lacking a dedicated forum for such an integral part of the economy in our country.

Many topics are covered in varying forums but a dedicated forum would tie all these things together.

Just an Idea.

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

It would be nice . i think under used like the other investment forums .

There is a mountain of good small business advice but its scattered around the forum in other non related threads & would be impossible to find if you wanted it .

Lets give jonesy a mention too he always gives a warts & all rundown on the reality of small business.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

It's a possibility.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

?

5. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:lol:

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In the members forum. Business is business after all. :D

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

by the look on his face hes got wind . :p

8. southerncross

Oh your just bitchy I didn't include you in the list 46 :lol: , No-one is wanting the actual industry secrets but tips on dealing with licensing, advertising, supply, expenses, markets, advertising, accounting and all could be very handy to those just starting out.
    Just as an example lets say I wanted to start an extraction of gravel/sand etc quarry in WA, where would I start ? where would I look, what should I look out for? You do this stuff for a crust and know the pitfalls.
    Say I wanted to open a Coffee shop/Cafe up here in Cairns, What location should I look for, what are the licenses required, what sort of capital should I expect to have for the start up etc ? A person like shiney could give me a few tips and let me know as an experienced operator what would be required without damaging his own business at all.

You could add plenty without causing any harm to your existing enterprise and it would be voluntary, I remember in the not too distant past some very valuable tips on state land you gave me that had no impact on yourself. People like yourself are a mine of information just there for the asking, that might be given for those seeking to map out a better future for them and theirs.

I know the info is there from multitudes of threads already but a concise location would be a good thing to have and allow for more interactive discussion/s to take place and might also act as an incubator for new Ideas.

9. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

And the list gets bigger and bigger. Isn't this a precious metals forum?

10. southerncross

Say's the man with 3,600 odd post's with all manner of subjects amongst them. :rolleyes: 9 times tables , imported milk, birthday pressies,........

11. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1. Go to "wealth creation and management" dept. (Assuming Small bus. has the aim of this.) Plenty of room there for heaps of topics, but 2 will do.
    2. Start thread..."How to succeed at Small Business".
    3. Start another thread..."Pitfalls of running a Small Business".
    4. Post in threads.