Slabbed 2012 Dragon - 'Early Release'

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by El Bullion, Sep 16, 2011.

1. El Bullion

El Bullion New Member Silver Stacker

Saw this just now - 110743753562

'Early Release'??? How early were these released and deliberately set aside for slabbing?

No wonder not too many were available after the release date.

2. NQDave

NQDave Active Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't be surprised if all of the early shipments went to PGS ect to get as many MS 69-70 as they could , then sell them into secondary market ect.

3. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Too lazy to click in the link.
    how much are they asking for it?

4. El Bullion

El Bullion New Member Silver Stacker

The auction's currently at USD$152.50 with 4 days to go...

FYI, it's an NGC MS69.

5. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's up to $152 with 4 days to go
    There was 1 last week that went for $330

6. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

wow worth slabbing then!

7. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Given nearly all perth mint struck coins are 68 or 69 its stupid to pay for the grading. the odd 70 maybe a premium but 68 or 69? ppfftt.

8. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

True, a slabbed coin can get annoying too. Takes up too much space and you loose your original capsule once slabbed.
    Can be nearly impossible to find another original capsule again.
    (I'm still looking for an orginal series 1 gold capsule)

9. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone know where I can buy original perth mint capsules?

Series 2, 1oz Silver and Gold size capsules?

Thanks,

Slam

10. veryugly

veryugly Member

Give Maggie a PM. she can get original capsules

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is the slabbing just about grading, I was under the impression that slabbed coins were a lot easier to sell internationally and I know the Americans are particularly wary of raw coins.

The only reason I would get my dragons slabbed would be in the hopes of getting a 70 or two which would pay for the cost of the slabbing all the rest.

Once slabbed I would aim to go for the American markets at higher prices rather than the usual large premium for the Australian market.

I would actually feel that anything returned under 70 would be a waste of time and money to have gotten slabbed for a brand new lunar dragon straight off the press. I would expect them to be 69s at the very least but I wouldn't expect a slabbed 69 to be worth any more than an unopened encapsulated coin from the Mint, just saving the buyer the expense and hassle of getting it graded. You might even be better off cracking it and putting it back in a capsule, you might get more than the going rate for a graded 69.

I have not got coins slabbed in the past but for something that is likely to get a high price it might be worth it.

12. supradealz

supradealz New Member

you can pay for expedited service, even 24 hour turnaround. these guys have dealer rates and probably sent a box of 100.

slabs are all the rage in america. you know what you're getting. a 70 bring a huge premium, but 69 is not bad. because you know you're getting an average coin, but its protected and guaranteed. if you buy a raw coin you might get a 68. we americans are used to handling our ASE, look at all the tarnished ones on ebay.

so an MS69 means you're getting a nearly perfect coin, and its protected from the elements.... plus a lot of these buyers have little experience and would rather pay for a 3rd party certification...

and many of these overseas buyers don't buy many coins direct from the mint so we don't know the quality

just my observation

13. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Outside of Pandas, none of the silver buyers I know of are concerned about fake coins. However, none of the people I know purchase older numismatic US coins that are also being faked.

It is interesting that a couple I know went to China earlier this year. The husband couldn't resist a deal on some US silver dollars. Per the wife, the coins turned out to be fake. Recently the coins were stolen by some workers doing repair work on their house. I guess you could only charge them with petty larceny. :)

14. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I am pretty sure Gainsville coins is grading all their 1 oz dragons, then the ones that grade below 69 they sell as new. I ordered 40 from them (paying too much of course) expecting them to come in the plastic rolls of 20 but they were packaged crappy and of course looked like they had been handled alot. I called and wanted to return my order since at that price I wanted them in the new rolls, the guy I talked to said" the perth mint lunar 1 oz dragons dont come in rolls and anyone selling them in the plastic rolls made the rolls themselves" so the mint just sent them a pile of these but everyone else selling the rolls made the rolls themselves??? An outright blatent LIE!!! if he just said they didnt promise they would be in rolls I would have been fine with it, not happy but ok , I dont like being lied to and companies that are dishonest in the precious metals business are very bad news, sorry Gainsville you lost a long time customer by lieing.....

15. TheMineTech

TheMineTech New Member

Not good, they definitely cherry picked through them as they would most definitely come in rolls.
    Another dealer who is making a bad name for themselves over the dragon fiasco....

16. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

What a way to treat customers! "You get the stuff we don't want!"

17. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow, do they think that the customers don't talk among themselves?

So I am guessing that if you sent all 40 of yours in they would all grade below 69. You will just have to sell them back to the Australian market where they are less worried about slabbing and grading.